Die Roller Feedback (example for target number based system)

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
BTS1967
General

Die Roller Feedback (example for target number based system)

Post by BTS1967 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:30 pm

At one point I gave some feedback on expanding the die roller to include target number systems where number of successes could be calculated automatically based on a specified target number.

An example is worth a thousand words! Here is what I had tried to communicate...

http://www.voidstate.com/rpg/roller.htm

While this utility was designed for the White Wolf ST system (Exalted, Scion, nWoD, etc) it is also useable with ShadowRun (4th edition that I know of). This particular example is specific to d10-based systems but with the additional ability to add bonuses, explode numbers (reroll and add when a cap is hit), and change the die then the scope would be dramatically increased.

I tried to find my original post but am unable to locate it. Just me being braind dead from a long week.

Hope this helps as an example!

Cheers,
BTS

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:57 pm

Definitely planned. But what does the Difficulty number do?

BTW, here is your prior post along these lines:
http://battlegroundsgames.com/forums/vi ... .php?t=944
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

BTS1967
General

Post by BTS1967 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:46 pm

Doh there it is!

Difficulty is how many successes you need to roll prior to counting your overall successes. So if I have a difficulty of 3 and roll 4 successes total, then I have 2 overall successes to count.

Typically this comes into play when you have to roll so many successes over a difficulty number to achieve specific results (1 result enables A, 2 successes enables B, and 3 or more successes enables C) or have to accumulate so many successes over multple rolls against a given difficulty (I have to rebuild a device under adverse conditions).

One thing this die rolled does not do is enable the addition of bonus successes... typically from the use of magic or magical powers that grants automatic successes.

BTS

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:51 pm

Ah, in that case, that particular feature was not planned for BRPG, but now is. :)

And here's something I don't think I've mentioned before:
You'll also be able to turn off any mechanics or die types that don't apply to the RPG system you're playing.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

tdwyer11b
Captain

Post by tdwyer11b » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:55 am

Heruca, does this include turning die totalling off? I know BG already shows individual die results, but it gets pretty annoying having the total shown below for the system we play.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:23 am

Sure, I can turn off totaling the result. Excellent idea.

Now is the time to make all die roller requests. So keep them coming, as I'll be starting on v1.0.9 development very soon, and it's main focus will be giving the Die Roller an overhaul, and adding dice macros.

tdwyer11b
Captain

Post by tdwyer11b » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:29 am

Only other thing I can think of, is being able to differentiate for a (wild,drama) die, maybe setting the last one as a different color.

greytale
General

Post by greytale » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:19 am

heruca wrote:Sure, I can turn off totaling the result. Excellent idea.

Now is the time to make all die roller requests. So keep them coming, as I'll be starting on v1.0.9 development very soon, and it's main focus will be giving the Die Roller an overhaul, and adding dice macros.
Woo hoo. Heruca, if you need any info on the Savage Worlds mechanics (exploding die, wild die) let me know. I would be glad to help in any way.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:21 pm

BTS1967 wrote:Difficulty is how many successes you need to roll prior to counting your overall successes. So if I have a difficulty of 3 and roll 4 successes total, then I have 2 overall successes to count.
So if I roll 2 successes on a Difficulty 4 task, I end up with -1 Successes?