What dice colors would you like to see in BRPG?

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
heruca
Developer

What dice colors would you like to see in BRPG?

Post by heruca » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:20 am

We've already got blue dice in the Dice Roller. Now I'm starting to add more dice sets in different colors. For starters, I just did a set in black.

What other colors would you all like to see?

Red? Green? Brown? Something else?

I think it'll be neat to be able to roll things like 1d8 + 1d6 for a flaming weapon's damage, and be able to specify that the red die is the flame damage.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

tdwyer11b
Captain

Post by tdwyer11b » Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:41 am

White w/green numbers, call me weird ;)

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:44 am

I like the idea of being able to pick specific colours for specific damage types 8)

greytale
General

Post by greytale » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:44 pm

All dice should be Keplified. :shock:

I think as long as there at least a couple different colors for the purposes designation it would be great.

FG2 has a utility within it for changing dice set colors and print. I really thought it was a waste of coding, since I really didn't see a purpose for it and it doesn't allow for dice with individual colors.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:13 pm

I'm trying to figure out how dice sets will work. I was originally thinking of distributing each color of die as a set that includes all the die types. Now I'm thinking of further breaking that up so that, for example, all the Red d4s will be in one file, all the Red d8s in another, etc. It could be sort of a plug-in system. So if your RPG system only uses d6, for example, those would be the only plug-ins you enable.

But that leads to a potential problem: what if someone rolls a die type or die color that someone else doesn't have installed/enabled?

Thoughts on how best to approach this? I suppose one way would be to ensure that the default dice set can never be fully disabled, and just do a color substitution if a player doesn't have a particular dice set installed/enabled.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:49 pm

To get that much flexibility, I think what you need to do is to have it actually send the dice images to the players just like normal units if they don't have the dice already.

This will also allow the GM to use unconventional die types without sending them to the player manually.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:23 pm

I spent most of the weekend making colored dice (a total of 660 individual graphics). Here are the colors.

I'm rethinking the idea of having the dice roll results appear on the map itself. I think they will instead appear in a new dice box panel that can be kept open, independent of the other panels.
Attachments
Die Colors.jpg
Die Colors.jpg (122.02 KiB) Viewed 6748 times

greytale
General

Post by greytale » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:51 pm

Very nice Heruca.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jul 29, 2007 1:52 pm

Made some Fudge dice, too.
Attachments
Fudge Dice for BRPG.jpg
Fudge Dice for BRPG.jpg (94 KiB) Viewed 8154 times

tdwyer11b
Captain

Post by tdwyer11b » Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:26 am

heruca wrote:I'm rethinking the idea of having the dice roll results appear on the map itself. I think they will instead appear in a new dice box panel that can be kept open, independent of the other panels.
Definately cool!

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:55 am

Those are marvelous Heruca :D 8)

I miss the rainbow version though :cry:

Balesir
General

Post by Balesir » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:43 am

Just an idle thought, but would it be possible to set the dice up so that there was a 'frame' with translucent highlight and shadow effects and the basic shape and numbers on it, then have a colour fill for the shape and number? This way you could divorce the die type/shape from the colour palette so you would only need one 'shape' for each die type and players/GMs could select die/number colour combinations freely. Looking at the graphics it looks like that could be feasible, but you would know better than I...
Balesir

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:24 am

I understand what you mean, and it might be possible. Maybe in v2.

The same principle could also be applied to figure bases.

BTS1967
General

Post by BTS1967 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:16 pm

Heruca, is the box for rolling dice going to be somethign where I click a roll button or do I have to "grab & roll" the dice?

One of the pain points for me with a competing VTT was that you had to grab & roll the dice and I have a hyper sensitive mouse (Razer). The end result is that half of the time I had to reroll because dice would bounce out of the area you had to roll in (the chat panel).

I am hoping for the click a roll button! :-)

By the way, I am quite excited to see the new die rolling utility, everything above looks great!

BTS

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:55 pm

Balesir wrote:Just an idle thought, but would it be possible to set the dice up so that there was a 'frame' with translucent highlight and shadow effects and the basic shape and numbers on it, then have a colour fill for the shape and number? This way you could divorce the die type/shape from the colour palette so you would only need one 'shape' for each die type and players/GMs could select die/number colour combinations freely. Looking at the graphics it looks like that could be feasible, but you would know better than I...
This could be done very easily in Flash with d6's and similar flat-faced dice.
The dice shape would be designed in Flash using the drawing tools or ActionScript, and then the colors and face value would be dynamic.

It would be slightly more difficult for the more rounded dice like the d20, where you can see more than one value at a time, since you'd have to apply the rotations to the face values dynamically as well, but it could be done.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:20 pm

BTS1967 wrote:Heruca, is the box for rolling dice going to be somethign where I click a roll button or do I have to "grab & roll" the dice?

One of the pain points for me with a competing VTT was that you had to grab & roll the dice and I have a hyper sensitive mouse (Razer). The end result is that half of the time I had to reroll because dice would bounce out of the area you had to roll in (the chat panel).

I am hoping for the click a roll button! :-)
You'll click a button to roll all the dice that you've previously selected (and configured with modifiers).

BTS1967
General

Post by BTS1967 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:15 pm

heruca wrote:
You'll click a button to roll all the dice that you've previously selected (and configured with modifiers).
Cool Beans!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:55 pm

v1.0.9 now supports Hackmaster's "Penetration" mechanic, including special cases like Crossbow penetration.

I'm not sure if anyone here plays Hackmaster, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.