Walls

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
Shayd3000
Captain

Walls

Post by Shayd3000 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:09 pm

For a later release or the next version of BGRPG I would really like to see walls added, much in the same way they work for Scene Grinder (they have an interesting video to watch about it) which I played around with recently. While scene grinder is not as powerful as Battlegrounds, the walls feature was very nice. Units had "light" and "visibility" which is the equivalent of "light source" and "enhanced vision" in Battlegrounds. So, when moving a figure around in SG, the figure could "see" based on it's position compared to the walls. If a building had "windows" (gaps in the walls) units could look in. I really liked the overall effect and think this would really ease the burden on the GM from having to uncover manual FOW.

I'm not saying dump manual FOW, as I imagine some folks would still have a use for it - I just would like to see walls added as another option.

Seriously, it took me about 15 minutes to completely mark my Glassworks map with walls in SG, and when I ran a player figure through it, the result was simply amazing. As the figure moved, things came into view as they should.

The walls feature should have the ability of course, to edit out parts of a wall to show a door opening, or curtains being opened, etc. It would also be nice if the walls could also be "hard" that is, not allow figures to move across them - but that is more of a nice to have.

Another feature that SG had that I liked was the "GM approve moves" option. In my FtF games sometimes my players just start moving stuff all over the place and I have to ask them to knock it off because I lose track. I can't imagine how it would be with an online game. With GM approval the GM could approve all, part, or some of the move (nice for ambushes - the GM doesn't have to yell STOP! - he just approves parts of the move. It would even be nice to allow (when not using turns) all teh players to plot moves simultaneously and then the GM could approve them one by one or all at once.

Just my two cents

George

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:50 pm

Line-of-sight-based Fog of War is a popular feature request. It won't be in BRPG v1.x, however.

Same thing goes for approved moves.

Probably not what you wanted to hear.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Shayd3000
Captain

Post by Shayd3000 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:39 pm

Actually, with the amount of work that it would require, I figured I wouldn't see it until 2.x.

the big question is, when for 2.x? :)

Shayd3000
Captain

Post by Shayd3000 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:51 pm

By the way - if I had to prioritize emy feature request it would be:

1. Walls (a must have)
2. Move approvals (a nice to have)

Shayd3000
Captain

Post by Shayd3000 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:24 pm

Just hit a situation where having walls would be ideal....

Putting together a dungeon, and in a couple of rooms there are lit torches. If I put the torches in, the light will be visible even though I may not have revealed the room because the torch light radius is bigger than the room. So, I am HIDING the object, then when I reveal the room I will unhide the object, but then will have to re-hide it if the characters leave the room. Even if they leave the door open, the torch in the room is going to illuminate a lot more than just the room and corridor leading out of the room....

So, a lot of manual effort to keep this thing under control (though it can be done).

If I had walls, they would just stop the light in all the right places.

So, consider this a plug for work to begin on version 2 (if walls are to be included) :)

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:37 pm

Shayd3000 wrote:1. Walls (a must have)
Please refer to the feature as LoS (Line of Sight), since that's the term the site regulars are familiar with, and because the LoS terminology keeps the feature distinct from a similar feature that would allow movement-blocking obstacles.

And yes, a LoS feature is high on pretty much everyone's priority list. ;-)

Shayd3000
Captain

Post by Shayd3000 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:33 pm

Noted.

I want both. :)

Paladius Darkhelm
Cannon Fodder

Re: Walls

Post by Paladius Darkhelm » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:49 pm

Did this high priority ever come to fruition? It's been a while.

heruca
Developer

Re: Walls

Post by heruca » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:24 pm

No. Though I wouldn't call it a high priority (although it certainly was to Shayd3000, who made most of the above posts).
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Paladius Darkhelm
Cannon Fodder

Re:

Post by Paladius Darkhelm » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:52 am

Omnidon wrote:
Shayd3000 wrote:1. Walls (a must have)
Please refer to the feature as LoS (Line of Sight), since that's the term the site regulars are familiar with, and because the LoS terminology keeps the feature distinct from a similar feature that would allow movement-blocking obstacles.

And yes, a LoS feature is high on pretty much everyone's priority list. ;-)
Oh sorry. I know it was for me. Also thought it was for most folks after reading this reply

Omnidon
Site Admin

Re: Re:

Post by Omnidon » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:13 am

Paladius Darkhelm wrote:
heruca wrote:Though I wouldn't call it a high priority (although it certainly was to Shayd3000, who made most of the above posts).
Omnidon wrote:And yes, a LoS feature is high on pretty much everyone's priority list. ;-)
Oh sorry. I know it was for me. Also thought it was for most folks after reading this reply
I believe heruca meant that it isn't on his immediate agenda since it would require so much existing code to be rewritten, not that it isn't in high demand among the customers.

It's definitely one of the three most asked-for features on the forum, along with dynamic character sheets and automated damage/attribute tracking.