Layer selection

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
cyberunner8
Captain

Layer selection

Post by cyberunner8 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:17 pm

I was wondering, to create a 3d map effect if you could create hotkey binding or a layer where you could set objects and figures. The idea is to handle swimming, flying, or elevation battles.

An option is to use the screen effects or even the object placement but somehow being able to select figures or objects through the top objects by disabling on map selection.

An example would be; you have a swimming battle with surface, shallow and deep layers. Boats or swimmers would be on top of the surface layer and easy to get to. Shallow water combatants would be below the surface layer so can only be accessed through the unit manager. The same applies to the deep layer and the bottom.

I am looking for a way to quickly select a group or unit without having to dig through the unit manager. Also have a way to "see" what the unit can see. The unit having some kind of toggled fog of war effect, allowing the units to see on their layer when they are active.

This might be a big can of worms to handle, but I just wanted to put that out there.

Any ideas or plans for the future?

-Cyberunner 8)

P.S. Sorry about the other posts sometimes I miss the boat, and get off topic. Oh ya, how can you remove old posts that no longer are valid?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:54 pm

If you don't need to see all three levels of depth at the same time, you can simply run it as three separate Encounters, and toggle between them as needed. This would have the added benefit that each layer could have its own Fog of War layer. Units can be cut and pasted between Encounters whenever they need to change depth.

Another solution which could help avoid trips to the Unit Manager might involve using the "Move to Top" and "Move to Bottom" commands creatively. But this would work best if there are only two layers, rather than three.

Or...how about you just handle everything as you would on a standard 2D map, but attach custom levels to each figure (e.g., "Surface", "Shallow", and "Deep")? You could even place those labels in their own submenu, to keep things organized and easy to find.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:01 am

Another idea: run everything in a single Encounter, but use three separate maps (one to depict Surface, another for Shallow, and another for Deep). Two of the maps would need to be Objects set to Tile. Then define a View hotkey for quick and easy access to each map/depth. When a unit needs to change depth, just drag it from one map to another, but be sure to place it in the same relative area. Grid numbers would really help coordinate this sort of setup.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Kepli
High Commander

Post by Kepli » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:16 am

I would use three (or more) maps and use the View manager to switch between them. I agree that grid numbers would be helpful.
It's something I expect to use soon, since my group members are buccaneers and they have a ship that can travel beneath the surface as well.

I have used number objects before to depict the depth in meters or per 10 meters. Just place it near one figure or a group of figures. I does mean you need a lot more objects though.

cyberunner8
Captain

Great Ideas!

Post by cyberunner8 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:15 am

Thank you all for your ideas. I will test run them all to see which one will work best for me. I think they all have merit. The lables would have low impact and quick to set up. One encounter with multimap areas using a grid mark system I can see doing with as many layers as you need. Finally using 3 or more encounters would look very slick.

On the concept of having a map that would have many layers view at the same time; how would you handle that?

-cyberunner8

heruca
Developer

Re: Great Ideas!

Post by heruca » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:40 pm

cyberunner8 wrote:On the concept of having a map that would have many layers view at the same time; how would you handle that?
Look at the attached pic.

See how multiple levels of water depth are depicted by having 4 maps? You can do the same in BRPG, just don't co-locate the maps. Put the Surface map at the top of the map window. Put the Shallow map below (as in further south, not stacked) that one. Put the Deep map even further below.

Now define a View that shows you all the maps at once (very zoomed out), and a View to show just each individual map.

Make sense?
Attachments
pic60321_lg.jpeg
pic60321_lg.jpeg (130.16 KiB) Viewed 6856 times

cyberunner8
Captain

Thanks

Post by cyberunner8 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:03 pm

Thanks! This answers my question with many solutions. The game looks fun too.
-Cyberunner 8)