feature request

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
markuwp
General

feature request

Post by markuwp » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:05 am

The GM used to be able to see hidden characters, but this was changed at some point. Can we revert to the previous system or make it an option? When a character turns invisible we don't want any other players to know where they are, but it is critical that the GM still knows where they are. There is a partial workaround by leaving the name turned on (the name shows even though the figure doesn't), but then you can't select the character to modify or move it.

markuwp
General

GM seeing hidden characters

Post by markuwp » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:00 am

I went back to search for this, and see that the change to no longer allow the GM to see hidden characters was made in version 1.6C. Heruca agreed to make this a preference, but I couldn't find the version in which this occurred or the location of the preference setting.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:35 pm

Edit: Removed my previous, inaccurate post to avoid confusing people.

Yes, it seems you are right that the change in 1.6c is causing the problem you are suffering.

And I am indeed surprised that the preference option hasn't been added yet.

heruca
Developer

Re: GM seeing hidden characters

Post by heruca » Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:09 am

markuwp wrote:Heruca agreed to make this a preference, but I couldn't find the version in which this occurred or the location of the preference setting.
Sorry, it seems I never got around to implementing this preference setting.

Perhaps we should start a thread to list all the preferences that folks would like to have, as it is easier to introduce preferences a batch at a time rather than piecemeal.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

TRIAD4Evr
General

Post by TRIAD4Evr » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:25 pm

I second the GM Can See Invisible preference- critical when a sneaky guy is moving across trap-laden territory- if I don't know what space he's in, I don't know if I have to roll the trap, and he's not gonna know there's a trap there til I tell him.

I move that we have a Preference to have View Palette turned _off_ by default, too. I never use it and it's always in the way when I go to start setting up a map.

markuwp
General

view palate and vision settings

Post by markuwp » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:37 am

TRIAD4Evr wrote:I second the GM Can See Invisible preference- critical when a sneaky guy is moving across trap-laden territory- if I don't know what space he's in, I don't know if I have to roll the trap, and he's not gonna know there's a trap there til I tell him.

I move that we have a Preference to have View Palette turned _off_ by default, too. I never use it and it's always in the way when I go to start setting up a map.
Sounds like we think alike! I also was thinking about a preference to have the view palate off by default (I've used it once or twice and really liked it, but 95% of the time I don't need views and it gets in the way).

If we're making a preference wishlist, I'd like one to control whether or not players can control vision settings. I accidentally selected the wrong vision for my character while a player and could see the whole map. I don't think the GM could tell whether someone was playing with night vision settings unless they happen to be looking at the player view in the FOW control panel.

TRIAD4Evr
General

Post by TRIAD4Evr » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:28 pm

As a general rule I don't use FoW- I bring up a room or two of each map and leave the whole map visible, though some of the objects or monsters might not be! Still, not a bad idea!

markuwp
General

Bump - call for other preference settings

Post by markuwp » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:39 pm

heruca wrote:
markuwp wrote:Heruca agreed to make this a preference, but I couldn't find the version in which this occurred or the location of the preference setting.
Sorry, it seems I never got around to implementing this preference setting.

Perhaps we should start a thread to list all the preferences that folks would like to have, as it is easier to introduce preferences a batch at a time rather than piecemeal.

heruca
Developer

Re: feature request

Post by heruca » Thu Jul 05, 2012 6:13 pm

markuwp wrote:The GM used to be able to see hidden characters, but this was changed at some point. Can we revert to the previous system or make it an option? When a character turns invisible we don't want any other players to know where they are, but it is critical that the GM still knows where they are. There is a partial workaround by leaving the name turned on (the name shows even though the figure doesn't), but then you can't select the character to modify or move it.
I think another workaround is to give the hidden unit an Area of Effect. The GM will be able to see the AoE, but other players won't.

For BRPG v1.7e, I am adding on option for the GM to be able to see player-controlled Hidden figures.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

markuwp
General

Re: feature request

Post by markuwp » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:04 am

heruca wrote: I think another workaround is to give the hidden unit an Area of Effect. The GM will be able to see the AoE, but other players won't.

For BRPG v1.7e, I am adding on option for the GM to be able to see player-controlled Hidden figures.
Thank you! I think the option is a better way to go than the AOE. Part of the problem now is that you can't click on the figures to move them (or right click to change status labels and such).

For the next version, please also consider allowing multiple people to control a figure (check/uncheck) instead just one or all if that is not too much trouble.