Unmovable dice suggestion

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
Motdc
Captain

Unmovable dice suggestion

Post by Motdc » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:29 pm

Title says it all. I attempted to Lock my dice in the dice rolling area of my map screen so they wouldn't get moved away. But Locking the set of dice prevented me from using CTRL+R to roll them.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:07 pm

Lock is definitely not what you want.

Why would the dice get moved away? By accidentally dragging them?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Motdc
Captain

Post by Motdc » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:33 pm

I haven't tried connecting a client yet but my assumption is that the players can move the dice as well as I (assuming I set that permission) and I didn't want to see them getting dragged all over the place. I obviously could be mistaken on how this works, still building the module :)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:48 pm

Ownership sounds like a good way to prevent unwanted movement of game components. Might work for dice, but the players will probably prefer to make the rolls themselves.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Morrelle Giovanni
Soldier

Post by Morrelle Giovanni » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:27 pm

Motdc wrote:I haven't tried connecting a client yet but my assumption is that the players can move the dice as well as I (assuming I set that permission) and I didn't want to see them getting dragged all over the place. I obviously could be mistaken on how this works, still building the module :)
I can see how that could get abused somehow, and annoying after a while.

Motdc
Captain

Post by Motdc » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:38 pm

Another nice thing about an unmovable option is that, when you select a single dice, it gets those movement number hints around it and, of course, can be moved like a unit with the numer pad. Neither is appropriate for dice.

I suppose that is really two requests now:

Ability to flag a unit as Unmovable
Ability to flag a unit as Drag Only (no keyboard movement)

Motdc
Captain

Post by Motdc » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:01 pm

Third variation on this. Just tried to have a Free Floating set of dice so they are always where the action is, instead of using a view to jump to them (which is fine) and then scrolling back to where ever we just were (which is a pain).

Free floating worked well except they are still draggable. It would be great to allow free-floating items to not be movable.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:42 pm

BRPG v1.8a will add an "Unmovable" setting to each unit. If enabled, the Movement Guide will not be displayed for it, and the unit can't be moved with a movement hotkey or dragged. A Free-Floating unit may also be declared Unmovable.

Where Unmovable differs from "Lock" is that you can still select an Unmovable unit and perform actions on it, such as rolling a die, swapping a token, or rotating the unit.

Motdc
Captain

Post by Motdc » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:00 am

Very cool! I've got a number of uses in mind for this feature.