FINALLY!!!

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
Eru
Soldier

FINALLY!!!

Post by Eru » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:45 am

I just found Battlegrounds tonight and I've been searching for it for about a year. I don't understand how I didn't find it earlier.

Everytime I had searched for something like this, I got a bunch of results for lame programs that didn't really do anything or didn't make sense.

I've been complaining about how I didn't understand how something like this didn't exist for awhile to people I game with. I finally searched again and ran across a link to this site in a forum. I actually don't even remember where now. I was that frustrated and then read through every feature and overview.

I downloaded the demo and stayed up for hours realizing that my search had finally came to an end.

I will be purchasing the program and multiple artpacks tomorrow (payday :p)

Thank you Thank you Thank you.

I'm beyond excited about this and I've been pretty jaded about gaming software for a while. ha

I've already told some friends who DO live in other states about it. can't wait to learn how to use all the features and get some games going again even long distance. I'll get the word out.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:54 am

Welcome to the community ;-)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:10 am

Welcome, Eru. Glad you finally found us. :)

I've been promoting BRPG for about 7 years on all the major gaming forums. Any suggestions on where I could have posted to reach someone like you sooner?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Eru
Soldier

Post by Eru » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:46 am

In the past I would basically search using google or another search engine using keywords like "digital minis" or "digital gameboard" and all sorts of variations of this even searching sentences like "what program allows me to use miniatures on my computer screen?" LOL

I've mainly played D&D for about 22 years, though I either didn't use battlemats or tried the physical mini thing (which was a complete pain).

While I did start looking for a program that did exactly this almost 2 years ago, I would spend a couple of hours searching about once every couple of months. For some reason, this site never came up as a result. I suppose I was using the wrong keywords.

I would usually get links to WoTC ads for miniatures or battlemats or free programs I would try and delete the next day. I would get links to RPG forums, but they always seemed to talk about how a real gamer should use battlemats and painted miniatures. I was even told on three separate occasions that nothing like this existed when I posted. Believe me when I say; I found this really weird. I was positive someone had come up with this idea and marketed it, but I stangely just could not find it. And then finally, I was reading posts about some free program called zunztu or something and someone said "have you tried battlegrounds" and placed a link and here I am. I suppose since I have a close knit gaming group, I don't visit RPG forums regularly and that may have been where I failed to discover it until now.

I've spread the word to people I game with though. I did find a few good programs I liked such as profantasy's products.

I'm not sure if you are at liberty to answer, but is dungeon djinni a better dungeon designer?

Sorry for the long winded response, but the search was frustrating and it makes me appreciate finding it all the more.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:09 am

Eru wrote:I'm not sure if you are at liberty to answer, but is dungeon djinni a better dungeon designer?
Battlegrounds isn't a mapping application really, although it can be used to arrange large tiles and objects to create fairly nice looking maps. BG is properly referred to as a Virtual Tabletop application (VT for short).

The two most popular commercial products for RPG mapping tend to be Dundjinni and the Profantasy stuff (Campaign Cartographer / Dungeon Designer).
Most people on this forum seem to prefer Dundjinni.

heruca has compiled a very extensive list of useful software on his Links and Resources page, including a lot of free software (and even a list of his competitors).

Personally, I have always been frustrated by the available mapping software. They excel at creating very detailed and beautiful maps for small encounters, but are not ideal for creating very large maps on the fly, which is what I tend to need for my games.
However, If you play mostly D&D then the existing software should probably be fine for your needs.
Eru wrote:Sorry for the long winded response, but the search was frustrating and it makes me appreciate finding it all the more.
That post was short compared to plenty of mine. Feel free to speak your mind here! ;-)

Eru
Soldier

Post by Eru » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:02 am

Right on.

Yeah, I use the Profantasy stuff myself. I especially love their City Designer. I'm actually doing a map (that will never be finished) of Sigil from Planescape right now. I got the dimensions and basically just insert areas where the players go or will go. For the most part its blank with little splotches here and there when you zoom all the way out.

I've spent about 6 hours playing around with taking my dungeon designer map I was working on and putting it on Battlegrounds. I'm getting the hang of sizing and all that - quicker than I expected. I'm still in the learning/tinkering phase though.

Is Dundjinni more convenient to use with Battlegrounds? I'm not necessarily partial to dungeon designer and would love to try it out if it works better.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:29 am

Eru wrote:Is Dundjinni more convenient to use with Battlegrounds? I'm not necessarily partial to dungeon designer and would love to try it out if it works better.
I don't know of anything that would specifically make one better for BG than the other, though I haven't used dundjinni much. Dundjinni has a demo though so you can try it out.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:32 pm

I haven't used the ProFantasy apps, but I know that a number of BRPG users have used them to create maps for use in BRPG without any trouble.

From an aesthetic standpoint, however, I almost always prefer the look of Dundjinni maps.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

TRIAD4Evr
General

Post by TRIAD4Evr » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:38 pm

Just a little note- I've found that it helps prevent those odd map-won't-fully-load issues if you use smaller maps- 1500x1500 or smaller- and some of those mapper programs will make ginormous maps, so it can be an issue.

I always shrink them down to 1500 or less a side and even my buddy with questionable internet all the way out in California gets the map quickly. I do a lot of setting-up-on-the-fly, so I don't always have a Media Asset Bundle ready to go, but I do have a lot of generic maps I can then drop objects or tiles onto to complete.

DriveThruRPG.com has quite a few cheap VTT offerings that are good, and the Dundjinni forums have lots of useful maps that can be repurposed with a minimum of fuss.

Eru
Soldier

Post by Eru » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:03 pm

Thanks for the info. I will try out dundjinni because some of the imagery I've seen looks really nice. In the meantime though...

I figured out how to transfer my large dungeon maps over to Battlegrounds where they look really nice and fit the grid as I intended when I drew them on Dungeon Designer from Pro Fantasy.

In the future, I intend to size my dungeon maps with Battlegrounds 40x40 in mind.

I basically drew lines to trace 10x10 squares on my current dungeon map making 16 total. Then I screen shot them by 2 10x10 squares, cut and pasted to a new paint file and put together a square that were 40x40 pieces of the dungeon. I resized using the table in the Battlegrounds manual (thanks for that!) and it turned out perfect. I know that sounds like a lot of work and I could have just screenshot the whole 40x40 square section, but at that zoom out level with Dungeon Designer, it looks like crap.

I'm pretty happy with that temporary solution for my existing large maps. Though it might help for anyone else new to this using Profantasy's dungeon designer.

TRIAD4Evr
General

Post by TRIAD4Evr » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:07 am

Sounds like you have a plan! I'm not that organized, so I take prefab maps and adjust the size to match my grid based on objects on the map.