First try with multiple players

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
arkat3
Cannon Fodder

First try with multiple players

Post by arkat3 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:05 pm

I had tried a few basic one on one sessions with basic maps and everything worked. Set up a more complicated map, set the turn data and entered in all of the NPC's with portraits and stats. Worked fine when I tested it. I made a Media Asset Bundle and sent to all the players. When we went to give it a try we had problems with my three players unable to see the bottom 25% of the map. I have not narrowed down the cause but it may have been operator error. I accidently started to load the base map and switched it to the encounter, this may have messed up their locally stored maps or the Media Asset bundle may have been corrupted to begin with. I am also wondering as this was the first time we used it if the other players were clicking on everything to see what was there and how to work it, I wonder if it just got overloaded, eventually we started getting multiple script errors.

There is a learning curve but I think I am getting the hang of it, I learn something new every time I try something new with the program and have found many answers in the manual and on the boards here. I like the potential of the program and we will continue to work with it and see if we can work though our issues.

One item I thought I had verified no longer seems to be working so now I am not sure if my testing was correct. On the dice macro I had set crit levels for all of the NPC's and players(pathfinder D20 system). I thought it was correctly reporting the critical hits without entering in a success level. Now it will not report critical hits unless you have a success level put in AND it is calculating the crit based off the D20 plus the modifiers, when previously I thought it was reporting the crit just off the D20 base roll.

So can someone answer if you can macro a D20+4 with a crit roll of 20 and have it only report the crit on a natural roll of 20(total of 24)? when I put it in right now it reports a crit on a roll of 16-20(total 20-24)

Omnidon
Site Admin

Re: First try with multiple players

Post by Omnidon » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:23 am

arkat3 wrote:When we went to give it a try we had problems with my three players unable to see the bottom 25% of the map.
heruca wrote:Try using the "Resend Missing Map Pieces" command on the GM Client. If that doesn't work, try a "Force Full Update" command. Both of those commands are available on the GM Client by double-clicking on the map to activate a popup menu.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:04 am

The fact that the bottom fourth of the map was missing on the player's end tells me that the media asset bundle never loaded for them. If it had, the map would never have tried to transfer p2p. It also tells me that the players did not load the media bundle prior to joining your game session (not strictly required, but good practice, as long as a password is not required for the media bundle).

Could it be that you re-saved your Encounter file after creating the media bundle? That would cause the link to the media bundle to break, which would explain why the bundle failed to auto-load for your players.

I'm not sure of the answer to your dice macro question. Perhaps someone more familiar with that game system can chime in with their findings.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

arkat3
Cannon Fodder

Post by arkat3 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:17 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Although I do not think I modified the encounter after creating the media bundle I certainly could have. Also even though I sent the media bundle and they all claimed to have installed it, I have no way of knowing if they did and got it in the correct piece. In the limited time we had I had trouble finding the send missing map pieces command. Now that I am not frustrated and had time to read through the manual I have located it and will be more familiar with the program. We hope to do a quick test sometime this week. I am going to create a completely new encounter and start fresh just to make sure I am not using something that might be corrupted.

As far as the dice macro could you confirm my understanding as follows.
To display a critical result you have to also enable the roll succeeds on option
and the crit success on options
Critical result is based on the die roll(s) plus any modifies that exceed the sucess number and the critical number

If that is the case then it does not work well for Pathfinder rolls and we will just have to watch the D20 roll itself to determine crits- not a big deal just would be nice to have it available.

For future upgrades I would request you have an option to calculate crits based on the unmodified die roll(s) or the modified rolls to cover more systems.

I am certainly having fun playing with the system and learning it's capabilities. Also makes me wish I was more artistic for creating my own figures, maps and objects

Thanks

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:46 am

arkat3 wrote:Thanks for the feedback. Although I do not think I modified the encounter after creating the media bundle I certainly could have.
An easy way to confirm whether you did or not is to open the Encounter in a text editor and search for the name of the Encounter somewhere in the contents.
arkat3 wrote:As far as the dice macro could you confirm my understanding as follows.
To display a critical result you have to also enable the roll succeeds on option
and the crit success on options
Critical result is based on the die roll(s) plus any modifies that exceed the sucess number and the critical number

If that is the case then it does not work well for Pathfinder rolls and we will just have to watch the D20 roll itself to determine crits- not a big deal just would be nice to have it available.

For future upgrades I would request you have an option to calculate crits based on the unmodified die roll(s) or the modified rolls to cover more systems.
I'll have to check the code and get back to you. Hopefully I will have time to do so tomorrow.
arkat3 wrote:I am certainly having fun playing with the system and learning it's capabilities. Also makes me wish I was more artistic for creating my own figures, maps and objects.
It's nice to be able to make your own maps and tokens, especially if you need something super specific or unique. But for the bulk of what you will need to run a campaign, you can get it from the sites mentioned here.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

arkat3
Cannon Fodder

Post by arkat3 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:21 am

First off I was able to host a session with a single map and run a combat, we initially still had loading issues.

GM running Windows
Player 1 running Windows
Player 2 running Mac
Player 3 running Mac

I sent out the media asset bundle, all players copied the cxt file to their media asset bundle folder
I started the program and hosted a session
Players 1 and 2 joined
I loaded the encounter
Player 1 map popped up right away
Player 2 saw a loading window which froze half way
Waited several minutes to see if it would load
Player three joined and received loading window and only received about 25% of the map
Only player one had a full map

Logged out restarted everything
I started the encounter before the players logged into the session
Player one logged in a and map popped right up
Player two loaded right up
Player 3 still received the loading message but received the full map after about 4 minutes and we were able to play just fine.

Will continue to test, let me know if we are doing something wrong. The only common part is the two players who the media bundle did not seem to work for were both on Mac's. I made sure not to make any changes to the encounter after sending the media bundle.

We had fun and will continue to learn the program, I suspect after our next live get together where I can actually see what the other players are doing or not doing and I can explain things face to face it will go even better.