Request: 5e vision and lighting rules

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
Vitvox
Soldier

Request: 5e vision and lighting rules

Post by Vitvox » Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:14 pm

Hello everyone and Heruca in special

I am starting a campaign using 5e rules (Now only called "Dungeons and Dragons") but I found that the vision and lighting rules do not match exactly.

So in 5e for vision we only have "Darkvision" and it states that "you can see dim-light as bright light and darkness as dim-light up to 60 feet from you".

So, in a 60 feet radius all darkness becomes dim-light. Any source of light, that provides dim and bright light, as long as it is in this 60 feet radius, becomes fully bright light! Moonshine, is bright light in your 60 feet radius.

Well, I tried to fumble a bit with the special visions file and the closer I got to this was to use 3.5 Darkvision. However, while using this, I have 4 different lighting conditions. I can't provide a picture now, but I'll do it when I get home. I used a torch and a figure with Darkvision. I also did with and without moonshine.

The result is quite ok, and very discernible. But I wanted to know if there is a better way to do it (am I doing something wrong?) or if Heruca could make a quick rule (is it easy?) to allow this to happen!

In anyway, thanks for the help :)

heruca
Developer

Re: Request: 5e vision and lighting rules

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:07 pm

It sounds like I'd have to tweak the Fog of War code to get the results you need.

Excuse me for being a bit out of touch, but is 5e already out? Or are you playtesting some sort of beta ruleset?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Vitvox
Soldier

Re: Request: 5e vision and lighting rules

Post by Vitvox » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:11 am

heruca wrote:It sounds like I'd have to tweak the Fog of War code to get the results you need.
And I suppose that would be quite difficult? :x or is it ok to do it?

heruca wrote:Excuse me for being a bit out of touch, but is 5e already out? Or are you playtesting some sort of beta ruleset?
Yes, 5e is out and working! PH and Monster Manual are selling right now! MM came out two days ago! DM Guide will be available in November if I am not wrong. The playtesting was over some months ago and now it is for real! I haven't played yet, but it looks good. However at first sight it looks a little bit dumbed down... but everyone praises the mechanics on website reviews so I'll have to check it out!

BTW, I have attached an image so you can see what I have as a result.

As you can see, I have 5 (not 4) levels of lighting. Darkness (OK), bright light from torch (OK), dim light from torch (OK), dim light from player (OK) and another kind of light in between bright and dim light of the torch where there should be only bright light ike the one from the torch (intersection from the dim light of the torch with the dim light of the player. If I add moonlight, the only difference is that the darkness becomes dim light but you can always see the other 4 types of light. Also, I think that the dim-light of the torch and dim light from moonlight should be indistinguishable.

Any thoughts Heruca? :)

Thanks again!
Attachments
light.jpg
light.jpg (84.64 KiB) Viewed 3633 times