Token/Component status enhancement

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
KeithS
Soldier

Token/Component status enhancement

Post by KeithS » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:53 pm

I would like to suggest a feature which I think would be a useful enhancement to BGE. This is an option to display and edit a user defined status object for each token or component, the display would be somewhat similar to the portrait but instead of displaying static information there would be an option to edit the details. In addition the information contained in this pop-up would be user configurable, I realise this is similar to the turn scheduler but being able to access the information for a single token would, I think, be helpful. Indeed it would be great if the turn scheduler and this mechanism shared the common information with either being able to display update it. There would also be the possibility for some information to be seen only by the token's owner, something which as far I can see is not possible with the task scheduler, although I might be wrong in that. I don't know how far it would be possible to make the pop-up aesthetically pleasing with sliders, backgrounds etc. but it that could also be another, if secondary, consideration.

What do you think?
Last edited by KeithS on Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Re: Token/Compnent status enhancement

Post by Omnidon » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:20 pm

Dynamic interactive portraits with unit-specific metrics (health bars, mana pools, status effects, etc) was something I often brought up in the past as an example of what could be done if Flash Integration was added to BRPG (and BGE).

While it's true that heruca could add it as a core feature, I think it would be more appropriate as an extension since that way it could potentially be customized to suit specific game systems and rulesets.

Don't get your hopes up though, since it is very uncertain at this point when more Flash Integration will be added (if ever).

KeithS
Soldier

Post by KeithS » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:29 am

Hi, I would be happy to see it either way (and an API of whatever description). Just wondered if an in game solution would make it easier to integrate with the mechanisms already in place for the time scheduler. Maybe the best of both worlds solution would be a basic mechanism to allow the user to create fields, which could then be presented via an API for use by Flash programs (or whatever).

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:37 pm

KeithS wrote:Hi, I would be happy to see it either way (and an API of whatever description). Just wondered if an in game solution would make it easier to integrate with the mechanisms already in place for the time scheduler. Maybe the best of both worlds solution would be a basic mechanism to allow the user to create fields, which could then be presented via an API for use by Flash programs (or whatever).
Well, the whole point of Flash Integration would be to have flash extensions communicate with BG from within the program.
It is technically already possible to add Flash objects/figures/components to the map in BRPG & BGE, but they are unable to retrieve any information about the game. Flash *integration* would allow those extensions receive, display, and manipulate data in the turn sequencer, map, card table, etc. This would allow third party developers to seamlessly add new features to the program.

On the topic of a native feature to create fields, there is already a way to add custom fields for HP & such in the turn sequencer. And yes, if Flash integration was added, the data from those fields could be manipulated & displayed elsewhere in BG by flash extensions.