More deck options: No Shuffle, and Draw Select Card

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
hoihoi8
Soldier

More deck options: No Shuffle, and Draw Select Card

Post by hoihoi8 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:04 pm

Hello,
I'd like some more deck options. I'm trying to prototype my board game and am running into barriers.

Deck Creation: No Shuffle
Reason: My game consists of a deck of spells. The user may choose any spell at any time. Shuffling them makes finding the card you want harder

Deck Draw (Select):
An additional draw feature to select a card out of a deck. For example, In Magic: The Gathering Online, when you select a card in the deck, a separate window pops up with all the cards and you can select a card in that window.

Thanks!

Omnidon
Site Admin

Re: More deck options: No Shuffle, and Draw Select Card

Post by Omnidon » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:47 pm

It looks to be like you can draw a specific card out of the deck using the double-click context menu on the card deck. It just shows the card names though; there isn't a preview window like you wanted.

hoihoi8
Soldier

Post by hoihoi8 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:24 pm

I'm guessing you are talking about the "select" menu? When I mouse over it I just see this instead of the actual card names.

Card
Card
Card
Card
Card
Card
Card

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:51 pm

This is what I see when using the standard playing card deck included with BGE:

As you can see, it shows the card names. I've never played with the custom card deck feature before so I don't know how to get custom decks to do that. Check the manual or wait for heruca to respond here.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:11 pm

hoihoi8 wrote:I'm guessing you are talking about the "select" menu? When I mouse over it I just see this instead of the actual card names.

Card
Card
Card
Card
Card
Card
Card
That's because all the card components have been named "Card", to keep every card's true nature concealed from the players.

If you don't care about that, just name your cards according to the spell name, or whatever. Then the "Select" submenu will read something like this:

Fireball
Teleport
Wish
Death Touch
Flight
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:17 pm

hoihoi8 wrote:Deck Draw (Select):
An additional draw feature to select a card out of a deck. For example, In Magic: The Gathering Online, when you select a card in the deck, a separate window pops up with all the cards and you can select a card in that window.
Please be more specific. Do you want to know WHICH card you are pulling, or do you want to just pull an unknown card without the remainder of the deck being re-ordered? Both of these things can already be done in BGE. The former is done by selecting the deck, fanning it out with the Stack/Stagger hotkey, and flipping the cards over. The latter is done via the Select command, followed by the Draw Card command.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.