Selection Box around components

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
hoihoi8
Soldier

Selection Box around components

Post by hoihoi8 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:13 pm

Request: Selection Box around components
Request2: Single click component selection

Mechanic: When I single click on a component, a highlight box should appear around the component
Reason: How does the user know what's selected? Every time a user thinks something is selected, but it's not and they mess something up they get frustrated. Frustrated users are bad :)

Omnidon
Site Admin

Re: Selection Box around components

Post by Omnidon » Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:37 pm

Go to the first page of your preferences and set "Movement Guide" to "On". This will show numbers around the currently selected unit. I'm not sure offhand whether BGE has any other unit selection highlight features like BRPG does, but the movement guide is what I use personally anyway.

Single-click unit selection is already working just fine for me. Make sure you don't have some other cursor mode active like one of the drawing tools.

hoihoi8
Soldier

Post by hoihoi8 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:26 pm

Thanks! The movement guide will have to be my solution in BGE I guess. Passable :)

hoihoi8
Soldier

Post by hoihoi8 » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:30 pm

So the movement numbers aren't really passable. They cover a good portion of my cards making them difficult to read.

Anyone know a hack to change the graphic of the numbers to something that looks like a selection box?

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:51 pm

I'm a BRPG user so I wasn't all that familiar with BGE. In BRPG there is a distinction between "Figures" (characters & such) and "Objects". Figures have selection highlights but objects do not.

Apparently BGE has the same sort of distinction:
BGE User Manual wrote:Minis are used to represent the characters, troops, animals, and monsters on the
game board (basically anything that can move, attack, and be killed). Minis differ
from Components because all minis have a base, and a color-coded Status halo
(unless these features have been manually turned off). Minis also have a
contextual popup menu (accessed by right-clicking on a Mini) that offers many
more options than the contextual popup menu does for Components.

The mini whose turn it is to act (according to the Turn Sequencer) is highlighted
with a blue halo. This visual cue is useful for players to know when they are
expected to act. A currently-selected mini is highlighted with a white halo. The
white selection halo supercedes the blue “active mini” halo, as well as all the
Status halos.
It sounds like you just need to convert anything that needs a selection indicator into a Mini.