Fog of War + Snap to Grid

Non-bug comments, suggestions, and feature requests for BRPG and/or BGE
B.O.B.
Soldier

Fog of War + Snap to Grid

Post by B.O.B. » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:25 am

Maybe I'm missing something or doing something wrong.

If I'm not, it would be nice if the rectangle mode of the Fog of War interface had an option for snap to grid for show/hide so that I could simply click in the general grid square (not necessarily precisely in a corner), click and drag to the middle of another grid square, and have it show/hide all the squares selected that way.

As it is now, if the corner I need is on the edge of the map, I'm having trouble hitting it.

heruca
Developer

Re: Fog of War + Snap to Grid

Post by heruca » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:29 am

Heh! That's kind of how FoW used to work, in very early versions of BRPG (in 2006). You'd click on a square and it would be fully revealed or concealed. People asked me to change it to the selection marquee method so that they could include parts of adjacent squares, so as to reveal the walls of a room or corridor, which were never being shown (being just outside of each square). That method resulted in a jarring effect, where a room simply ended and you couldn't tell if it actually ended or if there was more to explore. But with the new FoW method, they still wanted snap-to-grid to function for dragging minis around.

You might try setting the Map Offset to 122 (both horizontal and vertical), so that you're never having to use the FoW right at the very edge of the map. You'll have a 1 square "safety margin" along the edge of the map.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

B.O.B.
Soldier

Post by B.O.B. » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:55 am

Thanks for the tip. Offsets didn't quite work right for me. For horizontal offsets, holding [SHIFT] worked for adjusting the value, but for vertical, holding [SHIFT] didn't work.
It didn't work, because after setting it, and then doing fog of war click and drag, the fog of war section jumped by the offset amount on the map.

But you did give me an idea - I just opened the map image I was experimenting with in an image editor, and resized it so it had an extra square/blank border around the entire thing and then loaded that into your software. That gave me the wiggle room I needed.

Btw, I wasn't talking about replacing the current fog of war functionality with the new way: I was talking about having it an option that could be temporarily turned on/off - however I can see what you mean. The other software I used had a similar problem with fog of war 'easy mode' (snap to grid basically), where walls/doors got cut off on some maps. Now that I've manually fixed my problem by including a offset in the image physically, the edge problem I was having is a non-issue now.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:59 am

Cool.

What version of BRPG are you using, by the way? That Fow offset bug was fixed a long time ago, IIRC.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

B.O.B.
Soldier

Post by B.O.B. » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:53 pm

The exe properties say 10.1.0.11

I downloaded the demo from: http://www.battlegroundsgames.com/BRPGv1_8bWin.zip

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:09 pm

That's v1.8b. For future reference, the easiest way to check is to launch the app and pay attention to the version number on the splash (aka "About") screen.

v1.8c is also available for download, and contains new features and bug fixes. You might want to try it out.