Bran New. - Looking to Adapt a set of Minature Rules.

Virtual tabletop software specifically designed for boardgames, wargames, card games and dice games
Blackbirdx61
Cannon Fodder

Bran New. - Looking to Adapt a set of Minature Rules.

Post by Blackbirdx61 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:07 am

I'm an Old Table Top Wargamer, at the peak of my involvement I have over 1000 6mm Ancients and a 1500pt 15mm Selucid Army.

I'm Hoping to use the BGE to Develop a adaption of Milgamex's Ancient Warfare for VTT; using counters for the stands, like in the old System 7 Rules.
I'm Curious if I will need two licenses to play both sides of a board, as a good bit of Solitary Play will be needed to help Develop the Adaption.

The Max Map Size seems small to me, Game boards in BGE can be up to 40 x 40 squares, or 40 x 46 hexes.
The game board graphic can measure up to 4000 pixels wide by 4000 pixels high. Each cell on the game table is 122 pixels across (at 200% zoom).

But It mentions Modular Boards; So Im thinking one could assemble a Modular map like the Old Panzer Blitz Game?

As it is often necessary to measure for moves and fire Would it be possible to create, use a virtual ruler as a mini/component.
If I get this working I would be happy to share the results. Ty so much for your time.

heruca
Developer

Re: Bran New. - Looking to Adapt a set of Minature Rules.

Post by heruca » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:46 am

Welcome, Blackbird.

Even the least expensive BGE client allows for an additional participant to play without a license, so you shouldn't need another license if this will be a two-player game.

Yes, you can place modular boards as Components to create a larger play area. If you will be exceeding the 40x40 dimensions, your modular boards should have built-in grids on them. Here's an example of such a setup.

BGE has features for measuring distance (like a virtual ruler/string), and the latest version even allows for measured moves (e.g., move 6" along a particular vector). Have you seen this video? It covers things that should be of interest to miniature wargamers.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Blackbirdx61
Cannon Fodder

Re: Bran New. - Looking to Adapt a set of Minature Rules.

Post by Blackbirdx61 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:12 pm

TY much heruca, For taking the time for my Questions.

I'l be trying to adapt Milgamex's Ancient warfare, using a counter system for bases vs System 7.
I've not been too impressed with Virtual Miniatures that try to look 3D vs Field of Glory.
Ancient Warfare was concurrent with WRG6, and was a very detailed rules set; since the hobby
has gone more simplified and abstract, good for a Sunday tournament, not so much for Historical Accuracy.

I'm sure other questions will pop up, but I will be checking out that Video.
I'm sure that grouping function will be hugely valuable to me. : ) Very nice.

Im sure a good bit of trial and error will need be allowed. but the end result should be worth it.
Will post now and then let you all know how the project progresses

Thanks again for your time. BB.