Hello... some noob basic questions...

Virtual tabletop software specifically designed for boardgames, wargames, card games and dice games
Tragic
Captain

Hello... some noob basic questions...

Post by Tragic » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:59 am

Hi there

I found out about this software from a link on BGG and have a few questions..

Basically I'm moving state and away from my play group and we thought it might be fun to use a virtual table top software to play some of our fav games online together. After some searching of BGG I saw that this app had a lot of recommendations but it seams to be focused on RPGs... we are looking for a system that can do card games and boardgames.

I have experience in making plugins for LackeyCCG for cardgames, but I was hoping there would be a app out there that has a bit more functionality in it. Namely maybe a scripting engine to do some extra funky things? I know OCTGN has this but there forum needs admin approval to get access and I've registered twice and months later each time still waiting for approval. Also as far as can tell it dose not have a save function.

For a board game I thought for starters we could make a copy of Dungeon Run.. a new game much like Dungeons and Dragons: Wrath of Ashardalon. Both these games use a modular board that is drawn form a deck... is it possible to build this game in your software?

Thanks in advance

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:47 am

Welcome, Tragic.

I've already gone ahead and answered your posts on the Boardgamegeek forums, so I'll just give the short answer here: yes, you could make a digital conversion of Dungeon Run using either BGE or BRPG. Both programs provide support for tiles and shuffling stacks of tiles, and both let you lock down a tile after initial placement so that it won't be moved accidentally during play.

If you have no intentions of playing RPGs via virtual tabletop, then BGE is the program you want, since it is much more affordable and is specifically geared for boardgames, wargames, card games and dice games.

There is no scripting in either program, but that doesn't mean you can't automate certain tasks.

I'm not specifically familiar with Dungeon Run, but based on what I see here, I would guess that you could easily put this game together in BGE in an afternoon, if you've already got the graphics scanned and ready to go.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:10 am

ok... so... if I got the 30 buck gamer licence that gives me 7 free player slots... and anyone can connect with the free version but they time out in 45 mins... is this correct?

Dose the app have save? So we can run and test full games? At least at the start.. it would be a shame for us all to buy a copy and find we do not like the app. If we can save, and there for play a full game with just the anoyence of reconnected every hour then I think that is fine to start with.. Iam sure we will all get full verions if we plan to keep playing.. but the outlay of only one client to start seams a good choice.

Are there modulas or it for pre-made plugins I can download instead of making my own. I am happy if the moduals use place holder scan images so I need to scan my own to fill it in.

<-- EDIT

The GM Client dose eveything the other one dose? Like might be best to get that and not limit our playgroup?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:20 am

I think you misunderstood how the licensing works. If you get the Gamer Client with 7 free Player Slots, those 7 players can use just the free BGE Demo to play, and they won't time out. You've effectively paid for them. The only catch is that you have to be hosting for them to play for free, so if you're unavailable some day to play, they can't play either.

If you're not sure if you will like the software, I suggest only one person in your group purchase the entry-level package (BGE with 1 free Player Slot). After playing a few games they should be able to give it a "yea" or "nay" evaluation for the rest of their gaming buddies. It is possible to add additional free Player Slots post-purchase, so you needn't be stuck with a single free Player Slot if you really wanted more.

Yes, both BGE and BRPG can save a game in progress.

And yes, there are a number of digital game conversions already available for both apps; most of them are free and a few are for sale. Look here for a complete list of the games. These are all ready-to-play game conversions; no need to go find your own art to swap it out with placeholder images.
Last edited by heruca on Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:23 am

ok, this is all sounding pretty cool.... am I able to use the demo free version to creat the plugin itself?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:28 am

The free Demo will let you place up to 12 game components. The idea is to let you see how the app works, not to let you make a complete game without a license.

So, for example, you could place half a dozen tiles, a couple of tokens, and a few cards. That wouldn't be enough to create a game, but it will let you see how easy or hard it is to do, and you can practice things like moving tokens, drawing and discarding cards, and shuffling tiles, placing them to make a little gameboard, and locking them down.

BTW, I edited my prior post while you were posting, so you might want to read it again.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:31 am

ok, great I'm going to have a play now... see if I can work out how to use it lol... the mauanl is in the zip isn't it.. has anyone made any tutorials? Walking you through game creation

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:46 am

Yes, the User Manual is included in the Demo's zip file.

I've not yet made a video tutorial for BGE, but you can see one for BRPG that shows the entire game creation process. It should be quite useful for BGE users, even though some of the terminology differs between the apps (figures instead of minis, objects instead of components, map instead of gameboard, etc.).

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:49 am

There is additional documentation that is not included with the Demo, so you might want to download it from the "Documentation" section of the Downloads page. Specifically, get the Addendum, the QuickStart Guide, and the Quick Reference Sheet.

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:12 pm

sorry i can not find it.. did you say that there is no difference between the RPG version and the board game version ... one just has more features? (may as well get that one)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:25 pm

See this forum post. Should clear things up.

BRPG would give you more features, but they are features you don't need for boardgaming, and it will cost a lot more. I think you want BGE.

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:16 pm

Ok, please bear with me....

I watched the tutorial you sent me and it seams cool.. but I could get anything to work really. Like in the video he drops all the card images into a folder called "objects" but there is no such folder in my unzipped dir?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:28 pm

In BGE, the is no Objects folder. Instead, there is a Components folder.

That's why I said...
heruca wrote:[The video tutorial] should be quite useful for BGE users, even though some of the terminology differs between the apps (figures instead of minis, objects instead of components, map instead of gameboard, etc.).
See the bottom of pg. 16 of the BGE User Manual. It explains the terminology differences.

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:06 pm

so... create custom card deck is disabled and that is the same command as what they use in the tutoral to make a deck?

Also in that demo video how do you have a "hand" of cards... are there function to look at the top of the deck, or say look at top 5, and pick one, send the rest backl to shuffle etc etc etc

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:03 pm

BGE offers two ways to deal with cards. One is in a dedicated Card Table window (which allows for player hands). The other is directly on the Game Table (in which you need to specify an area of the game table for where the player hands should be placed). Each method has a different way of making custom decks, but I believe both methods are disabled in the Demo.

There are functions for pulling a specific card out of a deck, for dealing x (1-10) cards to each player or to a single player, play with an inverted deck, tapping/untapping cards, and so on.

To look at the top five cards and just keep one, I would draw 5 cards (with a single command), put the one I want to keep in my hand, discard the other 4 cards, put them back on top of the deck, then shuffle the deck. It's not a single automated function, it is several discrete steps. But this is exactly the sort of flexibility you want/need to be able to easily handle multiple game rules/systems.

See pg. 116-120 of the User Manual for more detailed info.
Last edited by heruca on Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:08 pm

OS there are no card manipulation things like "reveal top 5 cards to all" or discard X random cards from hand and other such functions? This area on the table is hidden to other players? We also play a few card games (I mentioned in my post b4) like Lord of the Rings LCG.. and ther are some cool features in this that look great for that as well.. but i guess we could use lackeyccg or somthing/

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:36 pm

To reveal 5 cards to all:
Draw 5 cards from the deck (this can be done with just one command)
Fan them out (with the Stagger hotkey)
Flip them over (again, with a hotkey)
Discard All (with the Shift-D hotkey)

To discard x cards randomly (assuming these are cards on the Game Table window):
1) Select your entire hand and Shuffle it (this automatically discards your hand face-down and assigns "Owner" to be "Everyone"
2) Move x cards onto the discard pile
3) Select and Draw (Shift-D hotkey) the remaining cards back into your hand

You can do just anything with the cards that you can do in real life except mark them, bend them, make card houses out of them, or play 52-card pickup. If you need a feature that isn't already in the app, I suggest you post a Feature Request and I will consider it.

Tragic
Captain

Post by Tragic » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:43 pm

interesting... well I guess I can not tell if this will work out until i buy it as the demo is so limited .. lucky it is really cheap!

Thanks for all your help.... I'm going ot get a licence now.. brb... I'll probably be polluting your forum with questions for a bit :)

EDIT
Ok.. sent you the mail for license.. hope i did it right ,., thanks mate

Ryder
Cannon Fodder

Post by Ryder » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:20 pm

Heruca,

You mentioned that there is a HotKey for flipping cards over...

I've searched for it over and over... and see nothing at all about flipping cards.

What is the hotkey for that?

Thank you!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:24 pm

Welcome, Ryder .

I was probably referring to the standard token-swapping hotkeys, "<" and ">" (these should be used without holding down the Shift key, so technically you are pressing "," and ".").

Edit: Make sure you first select the card or cards that you wish to flip.