need help making a grid

Virtual tabletop software specifically designed for boardgames, wargames, card games and dice games
Klingbeil
Sergeant

need help making a grid

Post by Klingbeil » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:43 pm

i need to use a hex grid and the defaults are not suitable for use with my map. i can't use a black grid, because it can't be seen in the black areas of the map and i can't use a white grid, because it can't be seen in the white areas of the map. grey doesn't work very well except in the most extreme shades of the map.

i tried using paint.net and a plug-in to make a hex grid, but i can't configure it to match up with the snap-to-grid spacing.

so i took the default black.png and modified it to be a white grid with a black outline.

now my problem is that when i use it, there is considerable lag in the program.
Attachments
black2.png
white grid with black outline
black2.png (197.07 KiB) Viewed 6030 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:49 am

I think the sluggishness is caused by the fact that the clear part of the grid is not really clear in your modded grid, so transparency is being calculated for every single pixel of the grid. Try using the attached grid, which performs as well as the grids included with BRPG.
Attachments
Black3.png
Black3.png (284.58 KiB) Viewed 5931 times
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Klingbeil
Sergeant

Post by Klingbeil » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:55 am

thanks for the grid, that works perfectly.

i'm certainly not very savvy with art programs so maybe you can tell me, if the background wasn't transparent, what was it? i made it from the provided Black.png that already had a transparent background.

all i can think of is it had to have been the PNG settings i saved it as.

what are the specs for the grids? bit depth and etc...

Klingbeil
Sergeant

Post by Klingbeil » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:23 pm

here's how the map looks with my white grid with black outline at 10% transparency (black2). i personally think this one is the most subtle yet visible.

and your black grid with white outline at 20% transparency. (10% is barely visible)

can you tell me how to make a compatible grid for future reference?
Attachments
black3-ss.png
black grid with white outline
black3-ss.png (2.05 MiB) Viewed 4467 times
black2-ss.png
white grid with black outline
black2-ss.png (1.81 MiB) Viewed 4458 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:25 pm

Custom grids should follow these specs:
4000x4000 pixels
24-bit (32 bit might also work)
PNG format
Color space = Apple RGB (not a strict requirement, but seems to work well cross-platform)
DPI/PPI is irrelevant
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:33 pm

Your "black2ss" grid looks super! Nice space map, too!
Klingbeil wrote:can you tell me how to make a compatible grid for future reference?
I opened up an existing grid from BRPG's "Grids" folder in Photoshop, and I applied an Outer Glow effect. Inner Glow and Bevel effects are also worth exploring, as are Drop Shadows and Color Overlays.

Klingbeil
Sergeant

Post by Klingbeil » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:31 pm

thanks! i bought the map from WorldWorks Games. i stitched the individual 8x10 images together with paint.net and resized it to 4000 x 4000

do you use a plugin or anything in photoshop to make the grids?

i have access to photoshop CS6 at work, but i don't know how to use it really. if you wouldn't mind giving me a brief step-by-step on how to make a grid of my own, i would appreciate it :)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:47 pm

I use Photoshop CS1, with no plugins.

Going from memory here, but I think all I do is go to the "Layers" menu and select "Layer Effects", then I select one of the effects mentioned in my prior post. A window will open where you can tweak the settings to exactly what you want.

Klingbeil
Sergeant

Post by Klingbeil » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:14 pm

i don't have a hex grid option in my copy of CS6 at work. i used paint.net to reverse the colors on your black3.png file so it's a white grid with a black outline and i got the same lag. so i tried inverting the colors with CS6 and i still get lag.

i don't know what i'm doing wrong. any tips?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:59 am

To eliminate the lag, it might be worth trying this: duplicate your final grid layer 3-5 times, then flatten the image and "Save As..." into PNG format.

I never said there was a hexgrid option in PS CS6, by the way. I merely suggested that you use one of BRPG's included grids as a starting point by opening it in Photoshop.

Klingbeil
Sergeant

Post by Klingbeil » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:16 pm

ah, i thought you meant there was a hex grid option in your CS1. there's a square grid option in CS6.

flattening multiple layers in paint.net didn't fix the lag and using CS6 turned all the transparent portions pure white.

i use Paint.Net for just about everything since it's free and just about the best thing out there for the price ;)
http://www.getpaint.net/