New Considering Purchasing for Protype

Virtual tabletop software specifically designed for boardgames, wargames, card games and dice games
mille1212
Cannon Fodder

New Considering Purchasing for Protype

Post by mille1212 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:33 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am a total newbie that thinks it would be fun to tinker around with designing my own game. I would like to make something with two maps (strategic and tactical for resolving conflicts, and units that can be combined and separated into new groups on the strategic map (army) with hidden attributes on the strategic map in terms of both the makeup of the army and the individual units inside the army (attributes like armor, attack, range that can upgraded over time through purchases or research). I would want there to be hidden card hands that reveal cards when played and possibly a hidden sideboard area that armies and other things can be assembled in secret, only to be revealed when needed or deployed. I know it sketchy (unfortunately it's sketchy in my head too), but would either of the programs allow me to do something like that? If so which one? Thanks in advance.

mille1212
Cannon Fodder

Forgot one more

Post by mille1212 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:38 pm

Also would want the ability to set out randomized tokens that are flipped as the spaces are moved into and discovered (could be resources and or terrain effects). Thanks

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:58 am

Welcome, mille1212.

For your "hidden sideboard area", you could use a combination of BGE features to achieve this effect. Specifically, the Views feature (to jump to, and back from, this area) and the "Use as Screen" feature, which is explained on pg. 71 of the BGE User Manual.

You could use BGE's board/map area for the Strategic map, and you could set up the Tactical map using an off-board component (set to Tile) with a View set for it, so that you can navigate back and forth between Strategic and Tactical views with a hotkey or button press.
Last edited by heruca on Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Re: Forgot one more

Post by heruca » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:01 am

mille1212 wrote:Also would want the ability to set out randomized tokens that are flipped as the spaces are moved into and discovered (could be resources and or terrain effects). Thanks
This sounds a lot like the Exploration tiles in Nexus Ops. Take a look at how I handled this in my Feudal Ops game conversion. The tiles with a "?" on them are unexplored areas; once the area is entered, the component is "flipped" (using BGE's token-swapping feature) to reveal what is really there (see the yellow tile in that screenshot for an example of a flipped exploration tile).
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.