character sheets and pips?

Virtual tabletop software specifically designed for boardgames, wargames, card games and dice games
Klingbeil
Sergeant

character sheets and pips?

Post by Klingbeil » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:29 pm

is there a way to do pip counters? for instance in Battletech, Car Wars, and Starfleet, the damage to armor, hull, and heat buildup is kept track of by filling in little dots on the vehicle's "character sheet".

i've been looking all over the BGE manual and i've also no idea how to configure a character sheet to keep track of statistics.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:56 am

It can be done, with the token-swapping feature, but it's a bit painstaking to set up. See the last screenshot in this forum thread for an example. You would need to create the appropriate bitmap graphics in a graphics app, in the various stages of being consecutively ticked off. If you name the graphics sequentially, it's quick and easy to get them into BGE using the "Create multi-token component" command.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Klingbeil
Sergeant

Post by Klingbeil » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:38 am

ooooo... that setup might make me claw my eyes out.

when you got close to 100 pips on a sheet, it could get really messy.
(see the pictures as examples)

are there plans for implementing record sheets or do you know of a 3rd party program i could use?
Attachments
heavy cruiser.jpg
heavy cruiser.jpg (23.27 KiB) Viewed 3028 times
aerotech.jpg
aerotech.jpg (425.51 KiB) Viewed 3035 times
tank.gif
tank.gif (55.48 KiB) Viewed 3030 times

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:11 am

Klingbeil wrote:are there plans for implementing record sheets?
Yes, though probably not the kind of feature you were envisioning.

As recently mentioned in this thread:
http://battlegroundsgames.com/forums/vi ... php?t=3230

heruca is intending to add support for flash integration in BRPG and BGE.
The use of Flash files (as objects, figures, maps, etc) would allow third party developers to provide features like interactive character sheets within BG.
Omnidon wrote:For those of you who haven't seen the past discussions of flash integration, refer to my summaries:
Extensions: Flash Integration
Extensions: Programming Interface (Advanced Users)

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:15 am

One option you could consider in the meantime, however, is placing the character sheets as objects beside the map and using the FoW tools or drawing tools to mark the pips.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:52 am

You could just make 11 graphics showing a series of 10 checkboxes in a row, with an additional checkbox ticked off in each graphic. Then you place that as a multi-token component, and duplicate it as many times as needed. If, for example, you need to track a ship's 45 points of shields, you would place 5 of these checkbox components and dial the 5th one down to only 5 checkboxes remaining.

Alternatively, you could just use the text label tool to create a unit that says "Front Shields: 45". Then edit the number with the text tool each time the shields are hit. When you get to 0, you could edit it to say "Shields Down!", for dramatic effect. :)

The point to remember is that you don't necessarily have to slavishly copy the layout of the original "character sheet", which was intended for a different medium.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Klingbeil
Sergeant

Post by Klingbeil » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:04 pm

thanks guys. you do make good points and provide good work arounds.

i guess i find a little enjoyment when filling in the pips and was hoping to be able to do the same

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:07 pm

Quick question: in these games, can your opponent see your vehicle/ship record sheet? If they can't, then you could just play with printed sheets, couldn't you?

Klingbeil
Sergeant

Post by Klingbeil » Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:43 pm

it depends on the game, but usually yes they can be seen.