Star Trek Attack Wing?

Virtual tabletop software specifically designed for boardgames, wargames, card games and dice games
DonMegel
Cannon Fodder

Star Trek Attack Wing?

Post by DonMegel » Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:16 am

I am looking for an engine to digitize Star Trek Attack Wing and am wondering if this is the right one. The biggest thing is being able to place movement templates and rotate ships in any direction.

Here is the BGG link http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1397 ... ttack-wing

What are your thoughts?

Omnidon
Site Admin

Re: Star Trek Attack Wing?

Post by Omnidon » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:43 am

DonMegel wrote:The biggest thing is being able to place movement templates and rotate ships in any direction.
Those things can both be done in BGE.

There's a free demo of BGE and some free boardgame conversions you can use with it on the downloads page if you'd like to test out how it works.

http://battlegroundsgames.com/downloads.html

DonMegel
Cannon Fodder

Post by DonMegel » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:24 pm

If I make the game in the demo, and then purchase the full version, will I have to make the game over again or can I port it over?

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:44 pm

DonMegel wrote:If I make the game in the demo, and then purchase the full version, will I have to make the game over again or can I port it over?
I don't recall what the demo limitations for BGE are exactly, so I'm not sure whether it is actually possible to make game conversions in the demo. I think the limitations against saving media bundles would make it impossible in the demo though.

However, there is no programmatic difference between the demo and the full version. Adding your license code just unlocks all the features in the demo; it doesn't require any additional downloads or installations, meaning that anything that you manage to create in a demo version would work in the full version.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:41 am

Welcome, DonMegel.

The free BGE Demo is limited to no more than 12 units on the gameboard, so you won't be able to use it to create a full game conversion for anything much more complex than, say, Tic-Tac-Toe.

BGE does support the use of movement templates. For example, when I ported Car Wars to BGE, I had a Movement Key that could be used to plot various maneuvers for the vehicles.

I think unit rotation might be limited to 5-degree increments. Would that be a problem for your game?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.