Offline mode questions before buying

Virtual tabletop software specifically designed for boardgames, wargames, card games and dice games
yax51
Cannon Fodder

Offline mode questions before buying

Post by yax51 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:35 am

Hello,

I've been looking this VTT over and it seems to be EXACTLY what I am looking for!! I haven't had a chance to check out the demo (I'm currently at work) but searching through the forums about offline mode (aka face to face) has revealed little. Basically I want to use this in a primarily offline mode in our gaming sessions, displaying the maps and tokens on my TV, with the players having their character sheets in front of them. Some people have mentioned using BGE in this manner, and seems to work for them. My main question is: how do face to face sessions work? Would I need the GM client AND some player clients? Or just the GM client? How can I display only the player side on my TV, while keeping the GM side on my computer?

I am working toward making our gaming sessions fully digital, while keeping the social face to face aspect intact. Using tablets for character sheets and spell books; the computer and TV for maps, tokens, encounters ect. That way we can enjoy the game and not feel cramped at a table for longer sessions, not having to worry about food or drink getting knocked over by an errant dice roll, ect. You get the idea. From what I've been reading, this seems like it would be a perfect tool to do just that.

*edit* I think I'm looking for BRPG, and as far as the clients are concerned, I found the answer in the License section. But that raises the question of having multiple players? Do I need a Liscense, floating or otherwise, for each player? How does that work?

heruca
Developer

Re: Offline mode questions before buying

Post by heruca » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:58 am

Yes, for RPGs you will want BRPG, not BGE. Download the Demo. It comes with the User Manual. Read pg. 12, the section called "Using BRPG in a Face-to-Face Game Session ". That should answer some of your questions, particularly in regards to what licenses you will need (short answer: 2, regardless of the number of players participating locally).

If using the dynamic Fog of War feature, you will want to enable "Shared Party View" on the Fog of War panel. This will cause the Fog of War reveals to be an aggregate of what all of the PCs can see.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

yax51
Cannon Fodder

Post by yax51 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:00 pm

Fantastic! Thanks!

Dark Lord Galen
Captain

Post by Dark Lord Galen » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:54 am

yax51 wrote: Hello,

I've been looking this VTT over and it seems to be EXACTLY what I am looking for!! I haven't had a chance to check out the demo (I'm currently at work) but searching through the forums about offline mode (aka face to face) has revealed little. Basically I want to use this in a primarily offline mode in our gaming sessions, displaying the maps and tokens on my TV, with the players having their character sheets in front of them. Some people have mentioned using BGE in this manner, and seems to work for them.
As Heruca has already commented you will want to use BRPG NOT BGE and I can attest that it works for my group in the fashion you are hoping to employ. We meet face to face, but utilize BRPG as a "table top".

yax51 wrote:My main question is: how do face to face sessions work? Would I need the GM client AND some player clients? Or just the GM client?
As Heruca has noted, though I would also add it depends on how you want to employ BRPG. IF the goal is to use BRPG as a VTT then, as stated, 1 GM Client & 1 either player client of Float License ( I utilize the Floating license, mainly because on occasion I have 2 players that can't attend F2F due to being in the military so they Skype in. The Floating licenses allow me to use local or for remote players)

*EDIT* (Clipped from another thread so may not be applicable)
Omnidon wrote:If I recall correctly, heruca provides a complimentary player license to GMs attempting to run face-to-face sessions in this manner.
heruca wrote: No. Actually, I give out a free second GM license for those who want to prep on one computer but run game sessions from a different computer. However, the two GM clients must operate independently, they may not be used in conjunction.
I would also add that having the floating license allows my players to select one to be the chronicler and He / She uses a floating license to create "maps" of the groups adventures via "snipit" in windows while running the tablet in player mode. This creates a graphic file of a map record from the player perspective that they can then add notes to.
***Edit***
yax51 wrote:How can I display only the player side on my TV, while keeping the GM side on my computer?
By having a second session ( I call mine Table Top) and connecting into the Host Setup Session (ie DM or GM what ever vernacular you prefer). The DM session displays everything I want to see to the monitor facing me, the "table top" displays ONLY what I want to reveal to my players. NOTE> I have found that running two sessions on the same PC is more stable (for me anyway) by installing (and as suggested elsewhere in this forum) and renaming on a flash drive, than elsewhere on the same PC. With a bit of manipulation, The Host Session opens on my DM screen and the Table session opens on my display table.
I optioned for utilizing Flat screen LCDs over a projection due to the desire for keeping the lights on in my game room during play sessions. I found most projectors "throw distance" vs lumens to be incompatible with the amount of space I had. Meaning the projector I have with a 5' "throw" the lumens (how bright the image is ) was too low to see darker maps (like caves, dungeons, night time, etc) and the projector that I had with the high lumen values also required 9' minimum distance to screen target. (ie wall or over top of table in my case). As most people (myself included) don't have 12' ceilings in their gaming area (9' for throw and 3' for table) I abandoned the projector for 2 LCD tvs one imbedded into the table the other on the wall behind me (the DM) this allows for the maps to be on the table and also easily viewed from either location. The table session can be "mirrored" (see your graphics card setup to do this) thus showing the same thing in both places. Now I realize my setup is abit extreme for most (but he everyone has a hobby right?? this is mine hehehe) the application for using BRPG would be the same even for a single display for players.

yax51 wrote:I am working toward making our gaming sessions fully digital, while keeping the social face to face aspect intact. Using tablets for character sheets and spell books; the computer and TV for maps, tokens, encounters ect. That way we can enjoy the game and not feel cramped at a table for longer sessions, not having to worry about food or drink getting knocked over by an errant dice roll, ect. You get the idea. From what I've been reading, this seems like it would be a perfect tool to do just that.......................But that raises the question of having multiple players? Do I need a License, floating or otherwise, for each player? How does that work?
IF you intend for each player to utilize the chat session feature within BRPG, then that would require a floating license for each tablet. Spoiled as my players are, they like having a customizable avatar (a feature not in BRPG yet), so I utilize the token pictures I created for BRPG within a LAN based IM manager instead. Either way is far superior to the hurried note scribblings of players to DM. AND as a bonus you can save what was said without keeping all those scrap papers.

As for BRPG being a perfect to use for this application,,,,well while not "perfect", Heruca is making it so.... you wont find better customer support ANYWHERE. As to "imperfections", there are a few, but the bonuses far out way the obstacles.
If you and your players intend on utilizing tablets, pc or laptops, I would also recommend Hero Lab for managing your character sheets.
I have used it extensively in the application you are describing.