Floating License for BGE?

Virtual tabletop software specifically designed for boardgames, wargames, card games and dice games
rochambeaux
Sergeant

Floating License for BGE?

Post by rochambeaux » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:48 pm

I'd like to install multiple instances of BGE on a USB 3 flash drive and be able to play them from either my desktop PC or laptop.

I bought the option for the client plus 3 player slots. What do I need to add to be able to "float" between desktop and PC?

heruca
Developer

Re: Floating License for BGE?

Post by heruca » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:19 am

BGE licenses need to be purchased for each computer you want to use the program on (unlike BRPG, which can be licensed on a pen drive and used on multiple computers). A number of users have purchased a second BGE license, generally to play games on one computer and to create game conversions on another. This usually requires only a $15 "Gamer-2" client on the second computer.

The only equivalent of a Floating License are the free player slots included with each BGE client.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

rochambeaux
Sergeant

Post by rochambeaux » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:04 pm

Would it make more sense for me to have purchased BRPG instead?

Functionally what are the differences?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:11 pm

This stickied forum thread explains the differences between the two programs.

BRPG is much more expensive than BGE, particularly if you are planning to equip two computers with a GM Client and 4 Floating Licenses each. Total cost, around $240. To equip two computers with the Gamer-4 Client costs $40.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

rochambeaux
Sergeant

Post by rochambeaux » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:07 am

How would having 2 different registered copies of BGE work when trying to bounce between 2 systems? Would the Thumb Drive approach work or would each folder/instance I copy on there be tied to a specific machine?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:43 am

As long as the computer itself is licensed, BGE doesn't care whether it's on a hard drive or thumb drive.