Which Version of BGE Is The Most Stable?

Virtual tabletop software specifically designed for boardgames, wargames, card games and dice games
ZenMonkey11
Sergeant

Which Version of BGE Is The Most Stable?

Post by ZenMonkey11 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:53 am

Hello

I've been using BGE v 1.5 since I started using BGE. Every time I use it, I always seem to run into online connection problems, like friends have trouble staying connected to my games. Either their screen freezes, or they get disconnected (this all happens with in minutes of the game starting). I've always noticed that there is a v 1.3 which seems like it's the stable version, but then I see 2 demo versions (v 1.4 and 1.5) why are there 2 demo versions?... and what is the 1.8 beta?.... I'm kinda confused as to what version I should use and why 2 demos and a 1.8 beta?

Omnidon
Site Admin

Re: Which Version of BGE Is The Most Stable?

Post by Omnidon » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:45 pm

BGE and BRPG are two different programs.

BGE emphasizes boardgames, wargames, and cardgames and is substantially less expensive than BRPG. It is designed not to necessarily need a gamemaster / referee and can be played competitively with two people.
http://battlegroundsgames.com/nutshellbge.html

BRPG favors pen & paper style RPGs with a single game master and one or more players. It has extra features for that purpose such as dynamic fog of war.
http://battlegroundsgames.com/nutshell.html

As of this post,
"BGE v1.5" is the latest version of BGE
"BRPG v1.8c beta" is the latest version of BPRG

As long as you are starting a new game/campaign and are not in the middle of one, I recommend you always use the latest version of the software (beta or otherwise) since they often contain bug fixes. You can always check the changelog for the update and if it is a feature-only update with no bugfixes then you can wait to hear if it is stable.

Always ensure that everyone in your group is using the same version of the software.

As for your connection / crash issues, I'll wait and let heruca try to troubleshoot those for you. :P

ZenMonkey11
Sergeant

Post by ZenMonkey11 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 5:51 pm

Thank you for your help Omnidon. That explains a lot :)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:36 pm

Thanks, Omnidon, for your thorough response. :)

ZenMonkey, you might want to contact your ISP tech support department and ask if they allow peer-to-peer connections (some ISPs disallow such connections, presumably to help combat piracy).

Also, make sure your router is not the culprit. Taking it out of the equation for a test session might provide some insight. At the very least, make sure the router has the latest firmware available for it.

The networking code for BGE has not significantly changed since around BGE v1.2. It seems to be stable for other users.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

ZenMonkey11
Sergeant

Post by ZenMonkey11 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:30 am

OK, I'm going to try those tips.Thanks :)