Shadows of Brimstone?

Virtual tabletop software specifically designed for boardgames, wargames, card games and dice games
heruca
Developer

Re: Shadows of Brimstone?

Post by heruca » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:22 pm

I think the "Reference Table" feature would be ideal for this, rather than creating a custom graphical die. See pg. 96 of the BGE User Manual.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:58 pm

Ah, you rewrote your post while I posted my reply.

It now sounds like a graphical die would work best. I'll whip one up for you. Does it require special/custom graphics for the die faces? What die color do you need? Digits or pips on the die faces?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

ruffian
Captain

Post by ruffian » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:24 pm

I'll find you a graphic...

ruffian
Captain

Post by ruffian » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:27 pm

Peril die

Digits would be best. :D

The game has a Western meets Lovecraft theme.
Attachments
Peril Die Rule copy.jpg
Peril Die Rule copy.jpg (52.28 KiB) Viewed 4188 times

ruffian
Captain

Post by ruffian » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:42 pm

How can I program the dice so that a natural 6 (not a total to a multi-dice roll) counts as a critical success?

In other words any time a natural six is rolled it counts as a Critical Success & negates an enemy defense stat?

Example: a Hero rolls 3 dice To Hit. result = 3,6,6
thats x2 Critical Hits both hits do 6+6=12 total damage
Last edited by ruffian on Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ruffian
Captain

Post by ruffian » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:49 pm

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:51 pm

In the Dice Macro panel, enable Tally Successes, and set the target number = 6

ruffian
Captain

Post by ruffian » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:54 pm

Well... it's a bit more complex.

A hero can succeed a To Hit roll on a 4+ but a natural 6 is a Critical. So I set the tally success to 4 how can I designate a 6 as a critical? Rules PDF page 25

ruffian
Captain

Post by ruffian » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:01 pm

There are 2 separate rolls for an attack.

1. To Hit (If a weapon has 2 shots the player rolls 2 dice. If the players Range value is 4+ any dice rolled that is more than 4 is a success but any 6's are critical)
Example: Rifle has 2 shots, player rolls 2 dice result= 4,6 That's 2 successes & 1 is a critical. Criticals only apply to the To Hit roll)

2. Rolling for Damage
Example: Player then rolls 2 Wound dice result=3,5. Enemy defense is 3. That's a total of 2 wounds inflicted. The "3" hit but did not exceed the enemies defense.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:20 pm

ruffian wrote:A hero can succeed a To Hit roll on a 4+ but a natural 6 is a Critical. So I set the tally success to 4 how can I designate a 6 as a critical?
Here's the closest I could come to that. By enabling "Count cap as 2 successes", I made the program "flag" all 6 results with a "x2" label, which you should interpret as a Critical. You will need to ignore the success tally report at the bottom, since it will be inaccurate.

In any case, even just sorting the rolled dice should help highlight the 6s a bit.
Attachments
Flagging Critical Hits.png
Flagging Critical Hits.png (233.37 KiB) Viewed 4182 times

ruffian
Captain

Post by ruffian » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:26 pm

I'm afraid that would confuse the number of To Hit Successes. Players will just need to keep track of the Criticals.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:29 pm

Peril Die Possible Results.png
Peril Die Possible Results.png (205.36 KiB) Viewed 4182 times
Here's what I came up with for the Peril Die.

To use this die yourself, download the attached Zip file, and unzip the contents into your BGE "Dice Sets" directory. Launch the app, open the Dice Roller window, and configure your dice macro by selecting "SoB Peril" from the "Dice Set" popup menu.

The second attached zip file contains pre-configured global dice macros, to save you the trouble of making them yourself. One is for a single peril die, the other is for 2 dice at once. They are both set to always autoroll, since I don't think your game ever uses more than two of these at once.
Attachments
Peril Dice Macros.zip
(1.36 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Peril Die.zip
(20.17 KiB) Downloaded 67 times

ruffian
Captain

Post by ruffian » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:45 pm

Awesome! :D Thank you, thank you thank you!!!!!!

ruffian
Captain

Post by ruffian » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:51 pm

The dice looks great! But the results that appear in the chat box don't always match. Is there a way to change those?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:55 pm

Afraid not. You'll just have to ignore the chat report and go by the Dice Roller's visuals.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:55 pm

ruffian wrote:Awesome! :D Thank you, thank you thank you!!!!!!
My pleasure. :)

Have you considered asking the publisher's permission to release this game conversion, once you're finished making it? If not publicly, perhaps just to backers of their Kickstarter campaign, as an extra bonus? Of course, it would only work for those who purchased a BGE license, but at least they'd have the possibility of playing the game online with little effort on their part.

ruffian
Captain

Post by ruffian » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:05 am

There are currently 2 core sets & I only have the one SoB 'Swamps of Death'. Once I complete it I am going to post a game invite to BGG & invite players who own copies of the game to play. I hadn't thought about contacting FFP but I will now that you mention it.

The map tiles have been the most time consuming in converting to digital. But as of today I have imported about 90% of all the components with only the reverse side of the map tiles 'Swamps' left to scan & edit. I scanned everthing at 150 DPI so will begin fine tuning & reducing to 122.

ruffian
Captain

Post by ruffian » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:07 am

The Game Overview so far...
Attachments
SoB BGE 1 copy.jpg
SoB BGE 1 copy.jpg (206.22 KiB) Viewed 4182 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:09 am

It's even possible that the publisher wouldn't mind a public release of your conversion for all BGE users, since gamers who try out the digital version of a game are often likely to pick up a printed version if they end up liking it. That would be a win-win situation for all concerned.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:13 am

Looks really nice! Man, that's a big game.

Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks like some components may still need antialiasing enabled.

It also looks like it will benefit from ample use of the Views feature, once you get closer to completion, to allow easily hopping around between player areas, component pools, etc..

ruffian
Captain

Post by ruffian » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:19 am

I'm using 1.5 so I assume anti-aliasing is always on?
Attachments
SoD Scrn 2.jpg
SoD Scrn 2.jpg (223.92 KiB) Viewed 4182 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:23 am

Antialiasing started defaulting to "On" as of v1.6. It had to be manually enabled prior to that, but you can enable it en-masse if you have lots of components selected at once.

ruffian
Captain

Post by ruffian » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:24 am

The "set view" is an awesome feature...
Attachments
Monsters Set View.jpg
Monsters Set View.jpg (254.36 KiB) Viewed 4182 times
Player view 1&2.jpg
Player view 1&2.jpg (181.69 KiB) Viewed 4182 times

ruffian
Captain

Post by ruffian » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:58 am

Any suggestions on how to achieve an accurate Wound Roll that displays the total wounds inflicted with the dice roller?

https://ffpgames.files.wordpress.com/20 ... ublish.pdf page 24-25

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:15 am

Is it as simple as subtracting the enemy's Defense Value from each d6 rolled? If so, make sure that the dice macro used to roll damage is set to Never Autoroll, so that the person rolling has a chance to input the proper modifier.