Error loading saved game from BGE demo

Virtual tabletop software specifically designed for boardgames, wargames, card games and dice games
bowieb
Sergeant

Error loading saved game from BGE demo

Post by bowieb » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:10 pm

I downloaded BGE 1.7 for Windows and am running it in demo mode for now. I created a new game with a 4-card deck and a few other components and saved it. When I try to load the saved game, I get this error:
Game File data is not valid. Aborting.
I downloaded the Fantasy Quest game and am able to (partially) load it, so it looks like BGE just isn't saving my game properly. I read that there are some problems using file and folder names with various special characters, but I don't have anything unusual in any of my filenames (aside from spaces, which I wouldn't expect to be a problem).

I am running Windows 7 64-bit, if it makes any difference.

Suggestions?

heruca
Developer

Re: Error loading saved game from BGE demo

Post by heruca » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:44 pm

Welcome, bowieb.

You're not doing anything wrong. Another user informed me of this problem via email, and I've already got a fix ready. Care to try it out? If so, download the attached file, place it in BGE's "Support Files" folder while BGE isn't running, overwriting the existing file. Henceforth, BGE should save games properly.

But that won't fix your current file that won't load. To fix it, open it in a text editor and do a search & replace to change all instances of "<void>" to "1" (all sans quotes). Save the file and it should load OK.

Sorry for the inconvenience. This bug has to do with the fact that the antialias property of units isn't being saved properly.

Note that with the free Demo, you'll only be able to save up to 12 units on the gameboard.
Attachments
Game Table.dxr
(6.01 MiB) Downloaded 92 times
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

bowieb
Sergeant

Re: Error loading saved game from BGE demo

Post by bowieb » Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:40 pm

Perfect! That fixed it.

I didn't bother fixing the save. It was just as easy to recreate it.