Mass select components

Virtual tabletop software specifically designed for boardgames, wargames, card games and dice games
bowieb
Sergeant

Mass select components

Post by bowieb » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:04 pm

I have a game board consisting of 24 double-sided cards (similar to Fantasy Quest). I have them set as unmovable, but I need to select them all and do a "shuffle locations" at the start of each game. Because of the layout, it isn't convenient to drag to select them and selecting them individually will be a pain. Is there any way to automatically select all components of a certain type?

On a related note, I find it annoying that there isn't any visual feedback when selecting a component or a group of components. Perhaps there should be an outline around each selected component?

heruca
Developer

Re: Mass select components

Post by heruca » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:22 am

You can set the selection marque to only select minis, or only components, or to select both minis and components (the default), but that doesn't sound like it will help in your case.

There is currently no way to automatically select scattered components in cases where using the selection marquee is not feasible. It would be a good feature to add in a future release.

I plan for v2 to have a visible indicator to denote what is selected (probably a glow effect, maybe even pulsing, if that isn't too annoying). v1 does not have this due to a technical limitation of the authoring platform (Adobe Director MX 2004).
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:25 am

Are you aware that you can use a modifier key to make several marquee selections in a row? Each time you drag-select, more units are added to the selection. Depending on how your cards are laid out, perhaps this means that instead of manually selecting 24 cards, you might be able to just do a few drag-selects. Far less painful, especially since this is only needed during setup (that is, just once per game).
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

bowieb
Sergeant

Post by bowieb » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:31 pm

I looked at the selection options, but since all the pieces are components (board tiles, markers, and two card decks), that doesn't help. The multiple drag-select is a good option. I assume the modifier key for that is <shift>?

The auto-select would be useful in games where there are multiple decks that get scattered during play. You could quickly select and then stack and shuffle the decks to get set for a new game. Perhaps the decks could even have defined "home" locations that they move to when you do a stack and shuffle operation. How does that work now, btw? When I select a bunch of cards to stack and shuffle, how does BGE determine where the resulting stack is placed?

A glow effect for selected components would be good. Maybe the color could be adjustable in the preferences to make sure it's visible on different color backgrounds. Pulsing might be workable if the lower end of the pulse stayed at a medium intensity (rather than going almost or completely dark).

bowieb
Sergeant

Post by bowieb » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:20 pm

I attempted to use the multiple drag-select method, but I could not figure out how to get it to add to the selection. Whatever modifier key I use (shift, ctrl, alt), it only selects the last group I drag across. What is the correct modifier key to use to add to the selection rather than creating a new one?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:20 pm

bowieb wrote:I looked at the selection options, but since all the pieces are components (board tiles, markers, and two card decks), that doesn't help. The multiple drag-select is a good option. I assume the modifier key for that is <shift>?
Yes, the Shift key.

However, I just ran a test and drag-selecting with the Shift key appears to not be working as it should. Shift-clicking to select multiple units one at a time works fine.
bowieb wrote:The auto-select would be useful in games where there are multiple decks that get scattered during play. You could quickly select and then stack and shuffle the decks to get set for a new game.
Wouldn't just loading the game file once again be easier than trying to manually reset all the components?

bowieb wrote:Perhaps the decks could even have defined "home" locations that they move to when you do a stack and shuffle operation.
I've been wanting to add something like that for some time, but it's going to have to be a v2 feature. If I put everything into v1, no one will want v2, LOL!
bowieb wrote:How does that work now, btw? When I select a bunch of cards to stack and shuffle, how does BGE determine where the resulting stack is placed?
I'd have to check the code, but it's probably using the topmost or bottom-most unit's location for where to place the stack (or begin the stagger). The Unit Manager is commonly used to set the z-stacking order of units.
bowieb wrote:A glow effect for selected components would be good. Maybe the color could be adjustable in the preferences to make sure it's visible on different color backgrounds. Pulsing might be workable if the lower end of the pulse stayed at a medium intensity (rather than going almost or completely dark).
Limiting the lower end is a good idea. Thanks.

bowieb
Sergeant

Post by bowieb » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:30 am

heruca wrote:
bowieb wrote:The auto-select would be useful in games where there are multiple decks that get scattered during play. You could quickly select and then stack and shuffle the decks to get set for a new game.
Wouldn't just loading the game file once again be easier than trying to manually reset all the components?
Actually, The last game I built in BGE is a good example of this. Each round the cards are shuffled and dealt out again. Granted, there are only 8 cards in this particular game, but it would still be nice to have a single command to gather them up. I don't want to reload the game file since that would reset the counters as well.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:14 pm

I'm convinced this is eventually needed. Any preference as to exactly how it is implemented?

bowieb
Sergeant

Post by bowieb » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:58 pm

I can see two options for creating groups of cards that could be auto-selected. For decks created by the "Create Deck" command, you could automatically group the deck. For others, you could have an option on the menu to group the currently selected objects.

You could then select one member of the group and have a menu option to select the rest of the group.

It would also be nice to have some control over where the deck ends up if you then shuffle or stack the cards. One option would be to define a home location for each group. Another option would be to select one member of the group and have a menu option to stack and/or shuffle the whole group to that location.

If you define a home location, you would probably only want to use it for operations affecting the whole group so that you can, for example, shuffle the discard pile without having it moved onto the deck.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:46 pm

bowieb wrote:I attempted to use the multiple drag-select method, but I could not figure out how to get it to add to the selection. Whatever modifier key I use (shift, ctrl, alt), it only selects the last group I drag across. What is the correct modifier key to use to add to the selection rather than creating a new one?
I just checked the code. On Windows PCs, you can use either the Shift key or the Control key. On Mac, only the Control key is used (the Shift key is generally reserved on this platform for making contiguous selections, and the concept of contiguous doesn't really apply in the freeform gamespace that BRPG and BGE utilize).

FYI, I am currently attempting to fix the bug that isn't allowing multiple drag-select actions to combine/work together. The fix should be in the next release.