Change component token image

Virtual tabletop software specifically designed for boardgames, wargames, card games and dice games
bowieb
Sergeant

Change component token image

Post by bowieb » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:15 am

I edited the images for a few of the cards in my game, but I cannot get BGE to load the new images.

I tried the "replace token" command.
I removed and re-added the token.
I deleted and re-created the component.
I even tried to create it as a new component without loading the saved game first.

No matter what I do, it always shows the old image for those filenames. How can I get BGE to re-load the images from the updated files?

heruca
Developer

Re: Change component token image

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:58 am

See "Purging Obsolete Media" (pg. 133-134) in the BGE User Manual.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Mar 07, 2016 9:01 am

And if you're using BGE v1.7, there's a new "Replace Token" command (in the "Token" submenu) that will automatically purge the old media and import the new (edited) asset.

Another option is to simply change the filename of the edited media to something you haven't used before (e.g., change "Attack Card" to "Attack Card 1").
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

bowieb
Sergeant

Post by bowieb » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:22 pm

I am using BGE v1.7. I tried the "Replace Token" command and it didn't work. Changing the filename works, but I don't want to do that every time I update a graphic.

I'll take a look at the "Purging Obsolete Media" instructions and give that a try when I get home tonight.

bowieb
Sergeant

Post by bowieb » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:38 pm

Manually purging the old images worked. Although finding the images in that list is annoying. There should be a search or at least an alphabetical list of filenames.

If the "Replace Token" command is supposed to be purging the old image, then there is a bug. I could never make that work.

I purchased a BGE subsription via Patreon so I can finish creating the game and test gameplay. If everything works the way I want and if my wife likes playing via BGE, then I'll purchase the program. I just need to get my copy of BGE activated. I sent an activation email that was generated by the program. Is that the right way to do it for a subscription?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:04 pm

Thanks for being a patron on Patreon. Are you aware that Patreon subscriptions kick in on the 1st of each month? I've received your Challenge Code, so I have everything I need to activate the subscription come April 1st.

I'm going to go test the "Replace Token" command again, but it worked when I tested it last night. Did your component by chance have a really long filename? (over 27 characters?)

bowieb
Sergeant

Post by bowieb » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:32 pm

This is the first time I've ever dealt with Patreon, so I don't know much about how it works. I don't want to wait a month to get started. Is there any way I can get the Patreon subscription started immediately, or should I just purchase the program from the store?

It's possible some of the filenames are a bit long, but the one I was having problems with was just called "Observatory.jpg".

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 08, 2016 4:59 pm

Sure, I've gone ahead and activated your subscription early. It should kick in the next time you launch BGE. Basically you'll be getting three weeks for free, partly for being an early-adopter of the subscription service.

I've now updated the text on the Patreon page to ensure that everyone is clear on when subscriptions kick in.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:18 am

heruca wrote:I'm going to go test the "Replace Token" command again
I just did, and it worked perfectly (at least on my Mac). I need to get access to a Windows PC to test it on that platform.

In the meantime, can some other Windows-based BGE user test out the "Replace Token" command and report your results here, please?

rab46
Captain

Post by rab46 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:55 pm

I just tested the "replace token" command with BGE 1.7 in Windows 7. It worked OK for me.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:39 pm

bowieb, try testing the feature again, but using a token that doesn't follow your hiphenated naming convention (discussed in another thread). It may have been failing for you earlier just because BGE was choking on the filename.