Cards on table vs cards in hand

Virtual tabletop software specifically designed for boardgames, wargames, card games and dice games
bowieb
Sergeant

Cards on table vs cards in hand

Post by bowieb » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:13 am

Is there any easy way to determine whether a card is in your hand and hidden from the other players or played (discarded) to the table and viewable by everyone?

In playing games via BGE over the last couple of days it has happened several times where a card in a player's hand has accidentally been discarded or has been played to the table and the player forgot to hit the discard hotkey to let everyone see the card. This is likely to be even more of a problem with the game I'm currently working on. Each round, you play a card from your hand and then return it to your hand at the end of the round.

It would be great if there was some visual cue that a card is hidden from the other players. Maybe a subtle outline of the card?

heruca
Developer

Re: Cards on table vs cards in hand

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:25 pm

bowieb wrote:Is there any easy way to determine whether a card is in your hand and hidden from the other players or played (discarded) to the table and viewable by everyone?
The most obvious method is if the card resides in the area of the gametable designated as the player's Hand area. The other methods involve the contextual popup menu. You can check to see if you are the owner in the Owner submenu. If you are it's probably because you drew the card and failed to discard it. The better way is to check the Token submenu. If "Secret Token" has a checkmark next to it, the card is "in your hand", as the other players are viewing the card back.

bowieb wrote:It would be great if there was some visual cue that a card is hidden from the other players. Maybe a subtle outline of the card?
If that were easily done, I'd have implemented such a method long ago to denote selected components. This WILL be possible in v2, however.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

bowieb
Sergeant

Post by bowieb » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:22 pm

heruca wrote:The most obvious method is if the card resides in the area of the gametable designated as the player's Hand area.
Right, but that's the problem. Cards in the players Hand area get accidentally flipped (usually by an accidental double-tap of <Shift>-D when drawing) and cards get played to the table that are still face down to the rest of the players.

I'll check out the owner and "Secret Token" options.

Looking forward to v2!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:41 pm

Observation: There is no "Token" submenu for cards that have been discarded, or for a card that was simply flipped over without ever taking it into your hand. That should serve as a slightly faster indicator than looking in the Owner submenu.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.