Esc to exit

Virtual tabletop software specifically designed for boardgames, wargames, card games and dice games
bowieb
Sergeant

Esc to exit

Post by bowieb » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:54 pm

This one has been driving me crazy. As a longtime Windows user, I am used to the <Esc> key being a general purpose "cancel" key. In Windows programs, it is almost always a hotkey for "Exit", "No", or "Cancel". This has led me to accidentally close BGE on several occasions.

I will open up a dialog and then decide that I don't want it. Out of habit, I press <Esc> to close the dialog. This results in BGE bringing up the "Are you sure you want to exit screen". I don't want to exit, so again, out of habit, I press <Esc> which dumps me out of the program.

I don't mind so much <Esc> being a hotkey for "Quit". What bugs me is that on the confirmation dialog, <Esc> should cancel the dialog and take me back to BGE as it would in any other Windows program rather than causing the program to exit.

heruca
Developer

Re: Esc to exit

Post by heruca » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:42 pm

Ostensibly fixed for the next release, though I don't think anyone has complained about this behavior before.

This means you can no longer quit using just the ESC key. You'll need to use the mouse or trackpad to click on the "Yes" button in the warning dialogue.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Re: Esc to exit

Post by Omnidon » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:17 am

It annoyed me but I never got around to mentioning it.