Resurrectng a Classic

Virtual tabletop software specifically designed for boardgames, wargames, card games and dice games
rab46
Captain

Resurrectng a Classic

Post by rab46 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:04 pm

Don't know what started this line of thinking, but I got this urge to create a module for the very first war board game I ever bought. So I dusted my 50 year old copy of Milton Bradley's Dogfight off and scanned everything in. I've played a couple of games solo and it brought back a lot of memories. If anyone's interested I would be happy to share the media file. I might even be tempted to try playing on line if anyone had any interest since it plays pretty quickly.
Attachments
mini_game start.jpg
Start of game.
mini_game start.jpg (160.93 KiB) Viewed 6186 times
mini_allies cleared from the sky.jpg
Middle game turn.
mini_allies cleared from the sky.jpg (156.48 KiB) Viewed 6186 times

heruca
Developer

Re: Resurrectng a Classic

Post by heruca » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:11 pm

Always cool to see someone putting one of my programs to good use!

How much time do you think you spent putting this together in BGE? (as opposed to scanning and gathering images)
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

rab46
Captain

Post by rab46 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:19 pm

Getting the images scanned and prepped took 3 hours but I am really particular about getting the various pieces of maps stitched together. Putting the module together was 30 minutes. I spent another 30 minutes experimenting with mini's versus components for the aircraft. I ended up using mini's because a base is part of the game mechanics so it fit pretty well.

I just finished an Old School Tactical module and have taught myself the rules by playing solo. Usually I can find a Vassal module that has the graphics already prepared which cuts down on image prep. With games that have multiple scenarios I create a "base" game and save it as a template for scenario creation. The module and base game for OST took me 4 hours. Creating and saving a scenario for play takes about 30 minutes after that. But once I have the scenario created and saved I can replay it repeatedly by saving games in progress with a different name.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:04 pm

That's pretty quick! Did you find any use for the Labels feature that Minis enjoy?

How's OST? Good game?
rab46 wrote:But once I have the scenario created and saved I can replay it repeatedly by saving games in progress with a different name.
Yeah, that's the way to do it.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

rab46
Captain

Post by rab46 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:56 pm

I've looked at the label feature a few times. I don't like having to uncheck one item, then reopening the contextual menu to check the new item. It's too much clicking for me. I would prefer to just open the menu, select the new item and have it automatically uncheck the old selection in that heading before automatically closing the menu. Guess you could hold the menu open until the user manually closed it too.

I really like OST. I purchased the eastern theater (Vol. 1) PDF print an play. Then I ported the Vassal graphics over and started playing. I've only played the first few scenarios. What I like is that most of the scenarios have a low unit density counter and the rules are pretty straight forward so they play pretty quickly. I enjoyed it so much that I pledged on the Vol. 1 reprint Kickstarter that just ended. In addition to the hard copy of the game I got a lot of other items and some stretch goal stuff. I probably spent more than I should have, but I just couldn't resist!

Another module I've created and play a lot is Retro, from Minden Games. It's a stream lined ASL, kind of an ASL lite. Even with rather high unit counter densities and simplified rules the scenarios play quick because I'm not constantly looking up rules minutia. This scratches my ASL itch.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:20 pm

rab46 wrote:I've looked at the label feature a few times. I don't like having to uncheck one item, then reopening the contextual menu to check the new item. It's too much clicking for me. I would prefer to just open the menu, select the new item and have it automatically uncheck the old selection in that heading before automatically closing the menu. Guess you could hold the menu open until the user manually closed it too.
The way it works was by design, since labels/conditions are meant to stack, but I can probably add a means of making labels modal, such that when you turn one on, all others are turned off automatically, greatly reducing the number of clicks required (and the annoyance factor).

rab46
Captain

Post by rab46 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:45 pm

I figured as much. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I would find the modal label arrangement to be much more useful.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:12 pm

I'll see if I can squeeze it in for BGE v1.8.

rab46
Captain

Post by rab46 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:40 am

That would be great!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:41 am

Done. As of BGE v1.8, you can edit the "Labels.txt" file and place an asterisk (*) as the first character of any label. BGE will make such labels disable all other active labels when selected, (ie, it replaces the prior label/s when you select an asterisked label). The asterisk itself will never be displayed in BGE.

rab46
Captain

Post by rab46 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:56 am

Wonderful, an asterisk as a label modal flag. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks.