Create and maintain deck of cards with specific order

"How Do I...?"
Zakharov
Cannon Fodder

Create and maintain deck of cards with specific order

Post by Zakharov » Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:46 pm

Hello!

I'm a new user of BRPG and am still learning how things work and how to set things up.

I'm in the process of setting up a new game and will be using BRPG. As I am doing it as a hexcrawl, one of the things I made was a deck of cards representing each day of the year with things such as holidays, markers and special events on them. I'd like to import the cards into BRPG but every time I do so, it shuffles them which kind of defeats the point. I understand what I'm looking for isn't a desired default behaviour, but is there a way where I can change the way it functions?

The intent is that while moving around on the overworld map, I would draw the next card from the date deck, as well as pick a card from my weather and other random decks as well.

heruca
Developer

Re: Create and maintain deck of cards with specific order

Post by heruca » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:56 am

Welcome, Zakharov.

After making/importing the deck, I would flip over all the cards to be face-up, then lay out all cards spread out (using the Stagger command, as shown in the tutorial videos), and would then proceed to order my deck by setting the stacking order of each card in the deck.

Select the card that you want to be top-most in the deck, then use the Send to Bottom command/hotkey. Do the same with the next card, and the next, until the whole deck is in the correct order (e.g., the very first card should now be on the top of the deck). Now select all the cards and use the Stack command to co-locate all the cards into a deck. Save the deck out to a Deployment file, so you can always revert to the ordered deck when needed (with the "Load Deployment Here..." command).

All the necessary commands (Move to Bottom, Adjusting the Stagger Offset, etc.) are covered on pg 83-85 of the BRPG User Manual.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Zakharov
Cannon Fodder

Re: Create and maintain deck of cards with specific order

Post by Zakharov » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:19 am

Excellent. I shall try this at the next opportunity I have and let you know the result post-haste.