Port forwarding

"How Do I...?"
heruca
Developer

Port forwarding

Post by heruca » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:02 am

If your computer is behind a router or firewall, you will need to forward port 1626 (or whatever port the GM and players have agreed to use) in order to connect to others online.

If you're not sure how to do this, consult your product's manual for instructions.

Here's an example of the proper settings, in this case for a Linksys router.

Routers are generally configured from your web browser. Just type in the router's IP address in your browser's URL field, hit return, and supply the proper username and password. To get to the screen pictured above, I had to click on a yellow "Advanced" button.

Be sure to specify the proper internal IP address for your computer, and don't forget to press "Apply".

Edit: Mac users who need to configure port-forwarding on an Airport Base Station should refer to this article.
Last edited by heruca on Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:23 am

Here's a very useful site that offers help with this, should you need it:

http://www.portforward.com/default.htm

It also shows your external IP address on the entry page.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:38 am

Heheh ;-)
Is there any way to make BRPG "Plug & Play Compatible" ?

Many routers nowadays are Plug and Play and will configure all that automatically if the application supports it (as do many games).

But yeah, I know how to open ports up. I just use one port for all my games so I dont have to keep going back to open more ;-)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:47 am

Omnidon wrote:Is there any way to make BRPG "Plug & Play Compatible" ?
Perhaps all it takes is choosing a port that's already open for other stuff, like e-mail or web browsing. I'll have to investigate.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:39 pm

Possibly...
I know my router can have that feature turned off as well though, which would prevent some things from working automatically.

heruca
Developer

Configuring an Airport Base Station (ABS)

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:12 pm

Saw this on another site. Posting it here for reference.

"An AirPort base station acts as a router for your wireless computers, meaning that you need to forward ports to your wireless computers if you want to host network games and such. Port forwarding can be accessed by opening the AirPort Admin Utility located in /Application/Utilities/ , selecting your base station and pressing œConfigure

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Feb 25, 2006 9:22 pm

Well those instructions will vary for every brand of router.

Many routers call port-forwarding "Virtual Servers", which can be configured in the HTML-based interface.

Basically when BRPG goes on the market, you will have to either help nearly every single person with his router or, like most developers, say "Look in your hardware's documentation"

The biggest problem is for those people who cannot access the firewall (such as those people who are one of many on a secure LAN). They will simply have to figure out which ports are already open.
Last edited by Omnidon on Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:21 pm

BRPG's use of port 1626 is a suggestion, not a requirement, so it should be easy enough to tweak to one's computing environment.

masterlurker
Captain

Post by masterlurker » Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:43 pm

heruca wrote:
Perhaps all it takes is choosing a port that's already open for other stuff, like e-mail or web browsing. I'll have to investigate.
That would be great. Fantasy Grounds' first major customer turn-off, back in the day, was the fact that it caused an insanely high depression/suicide rate among users with Routers, or users behind specific firewall/anti-virus programs, so using a more 'common' port would get around a lot of that (though, isn't it possible that it could screw up/slow down whatever else is on that port? And does anyone care that they can't check thier email while gaming?).

Oh, and isn't AirPort the thing from Apple that lets you play iTunes on your computer through your stereo? I was looking into those and found out that they don't work in a lot of instances (too far away, using Windows and specific circumstances, another stereo in the building, etc.) which led to many unhappy customers (like one in three reviews was a complaint). So maybe that isn't a good comparison. :?
~lurker~
Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society. -- Mark Twain

Weezoh
General

Post by Weezoh » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:31 am

masterlurker wrote:
heruca wrote:
That would be great. Fantasy Grounds' first major customer turn-off, back in the day, was the fact that it caused an insanely high depression/suicide rate among users with Routers, or users behind specific firewall/anti-virus programs, so using a more 'common' port would get around a lot of that (though, isn't it possible that it could screw up/slow down whatever else is on that port? And does anyone care that they can't check thier email while gaming?).

Oh, and isn't AirPort the thing from Apple that lets you play iTunes on your computer through your stereo? I was looking into those and found out that they don't work in a lot of instances (too far away, using Windows and specific circumstances, another stereo in the building, etc.) which led to many unhappy customers (like one in three reviews was a complaint). So maybe that isn't a good comparison. :?
~lurker~
that's airport Express, Airport is just 802.11b put out by apple. (Airport Extreme is 802.11g)
Macbook Pro
Intel iMac
Mac os 10.5.4

--
Weezoh

Spyke
Captain

Post by Spyke » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:22 pm

I've been on the road now for most of this year, and I can't get Battlegrounds to connect. I've got port 1626 open on my firewall, so I imagine that my problem is that I'm always behind a hotel router and the port isn't being forwarded. If I use a tool like http://www.canyouseeme.org/ it reports that it can't see 1626 at my external IP address.

Have I got any options here? If this is what is going on then it's a pain as the main reason I want BG is to allow me to GM while on the road.

Spyke

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:41 pm

Can you post some system & OS specs?

Try turning your firewall off (just while testing), as well as Zone Alarm or any similar software you might have installed.

You might also try some other port number that isn't already being used for something else.

Perhaps someone who's better at troubleshooting these sorts of issues could chime in?

Edit: You might also find a solution by reading through the posts on this forum:

http://www.nbos.com/forums/viewforum.ph ... ed75df027f

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:24 pm

Spyke wrote:I've been on the road now for most of this year, and I can't get Battlegrounds to connect. I've got port 1626 open on my firewall, so I imagine that my problem is that I'm always behind a hotel router and the port isn't being forwarded. If I use a tool like http://www.canyouseeme.org/ it reports that it can't see 1626 at my external IP address.

Have I got any options here? If this is what is going on then it's a pain as the main reason I want BG is to allow me to GM while on the road.

Spyke

I'm on the road quite often and, in my experience, only about half of hotels have any firewalls on their routers.

Also, I have actually never needed to do any port-forwarding to get BRPG to connect, and I'm behind both a router and a software firewall.

It is more likely to be a problem with your specific system configuration than hotels in general.

Also keep in mind that having multiple firewalls, even if they are all configured properly, often causes problems. I'm lucky that ZoneAlarm works with my router, but I'm unable to use the windows firewall alongside either of them.

Spyke
Captain

Post by Spyke » Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:57 am

Omnidon wrote:Also, I have actually never needed to do any port-forwarding to get BRPG to connect, and I'm behind both a router and a software firewall.
Are you hosting, or just connecting as a player? In our testing I couldn't do either, but I'm assuming that you only need to forward the port if you're the host.
Heruca wrote:Try turning your firewall off (just while testing), as well as Zone Alarm or any similar software you might have installed.

You might also try some other port number that isn't already being used for something else.
I can't turn off the firewall, unfortunately (work laptop), but I've opened the port. I've also found that port 21 is open on the external address here, so I could try that when my fellow tester wakes up in the UK!

Thanks for the help - and the link to the SM forum - there was some useful stuff there.

Spyke

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:25 am

Spyke wrote:Are you hosting, or just connecting as a player? In our testing I couldn't do either, but I'm assuming that you only need to forward the port if you're the host.
I tried both, though admittedly it has been quite a while since I tested it.

Also, as mentioned earlier in this thread, my router has Plug & Play compatability, so it's possible that Macromedia Director has Plug & Play built-in and that's why it works for me.

I'll have to test to see if it still works though. Been a while since I've played around with BRPG on the net.

Spyke
Captain

Post by Spyke » Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:53 am

I've just done some testing with Screen Monkey and that reports that there's no uPnP router available, and I can't connect as a player even through port 21, so I think my hunch is correct and I'm only going to be able to host where there's some way to configure the port forwarding.

Ah well, these things will improve as the technology spreads.

One extreme solution might be to leave my home PC running and host BG there over a remote desktop connection like XP remote assistance...

Spyke

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:05 am

Spyke wrote:One extreme solution might be to leave my home PC running and host BG there over a remote desktop connection like XP remote assistance...
Ha I thought of that myself when I was considering potential ways for multiple GMs to share the same license.

I've heard remote desktop is quite insecure though. I've never tried it personally, but windows things tend to be.
Spyke wrote:Ah well, these things will improve as the technology spreads.
Ah I can't wait for the day when the internet is better integrated into society, though they'll probably have to restructure it completely to get that to work. Pitiful mortals!

micedwards
Soldier

Post by micedwards » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:18 am

I wouldn't like to try to remote desktop over the internet by itself but if you use ssh to set up a secure connection you can then tunnel your remote desktop connection thru that. I do that here and it works well and is secure. Google "ssh" and have a look.

not sure if its a bug but i couldn't get tab to work after starting up as a server inside a remote desktop session...

mice

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:00 am

micedwards wrote:not sure if its a bug but i couldn't get tab to work after starting up as a server inside a remote desktop session...
It's a bug, which I hope to address by v1.1. What it really means is that the host attempt actually failed, so you need to open the Login panel again from the BG button and try again. Or quit and relaunch.

micedwards
Soldier

Post by micedwards » Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:27 am

ah yes, i remember having that problem in an earlier version. thanks for the details.

btw you will need a fair bit of bandwidth on the up-channel as remote desktop will take a good deal of it!

mice

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:41 pm

And if you add voice chat to the mix, things are going to get very slow, I imagine.

Spyke
Captain

Post by Spyke » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:26 am

BTW, just to let you know that I did eventually try it with a remote desktop connection, and you're right... far too slow to be useable! But hey, you've got to give me points for trying!

I'm a bit stuck here. I don't think it's a problem with this laptop - I tested it at home where I've got control of the router and successfully connected to a friend across the 'net. But when I'm on the road I just can't get through (as a player or host), even by searching for an external IP that's reported as open and setting the port to that.

It's odd, as I have no problem connecting as a player using Fantasy Grounds.

Heruca, please don't try to help at the moment! I'd hate to hold up your release date!

Spyke

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:58 am

Nice to see you around here again, Spyke.

Are you trying to be a host or join a host's game?

If you are on the road, could it just be that the hotel's network is not configured to allow traffic on such ports? Try port 80 next time.

Did you try using the same port number that worked for you in FG?

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:14 pm

heruca wrote:Are you trying to be a host or join a host's game?
Spyke wrote:I just can't get through (as a player or host)

Spyke
Captain

Post by Spyke » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:21 am

heruca wrote:Nice to see you around here again, Spyke.
Nice to have a bit of spare time to post again! Real Life's been awfully demanding of late. ;-)

Yes, I tried the port that was working with FG, and I think I tried port 80 (but I'll give that another go). If it's just me that's having this difficulty then don't worry about it, but I think it's worth me noting it on the forum in case other users run into the same problem.

Spyke