Port forwarding

"How Do I...?"
Pondscum
Cannon Fodder

Read the above - still no luck

Post by Pondscum » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:10 pm

Hi, I have the read the above as we tried our first tech test today.

I hosted, pushed a hole in my firewall and no-one was able to connect (Win 7, Netgear Router, Wireless connection - bought program + 5 floating licenses)

Then one of the other players hosted (Vista + wireless, no firewall, demo version) we weren't able to connect.

Then another player hosted (Mac + wired, no firewall, demo version) we weren't able to connect.

I tried several port numbers - for the players do they need to know the ports?

I also tried http://www.canyouseeme.org/ which told me it could see my open port.

What am I missing?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:07 pm

Welcome, Pondscum.

Are you giving your players your external IP address? If the IP address you sent them is something like 192.168.x.x or 10.0.x.x, that is your internal IP address, and that won't allow players from outside your network to connect. The "IP" button in the GM's chat window will help you find out your external IP address, if you don't know it.

Also, make sure your players are not trying to log on using the exact same username that you are using to host.

No, the players do not need to know what port the GM is hosting on.

When your friends hosted, had they also set up port-forwarding first? If they didn't and they are behind routers, no one would be able to connect.

If nothing else seems to help, call your ISP and ask their tech support people if they block peer-to-peer connections. Sometimes they do, and sometimes you can explain to them that you have a legitimate reason for needing it, and they will stop blocking p2p connections.

Another alternative to port forwarding is to use VPN software like Hamachi (free).
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Pondscum
Cannon Fodder

re:Port Forwarding

Post by Pondscum » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:10 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. The only thing from the above that I'm not 1005 sure about is whether my ISP allows port forwarding (I assume they do as they have FAQs for setting up various routers to do it).

I shall give Hamachi a try.

david.steele
Sergeant

Post by david.steele » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:09 pm

Another option for those having connectivity issues may be to invest in an uPnP router. Most new routers already have this functionality.

See this link for some additional information:
http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=vide ... lay-upnp-1
Last edited by david.steele on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:15 pm

Don't Macs already support IPv6?

Is this one of those cases where the router also has to support it?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

david.steele
Sergeant

Post by david.steele » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:48 pm

Alright, perhaps I shouldn't have even mentioned IPv6. I edited my post to take it out even. Most devices do support it today, but the internet is still using primarily IPv4. And since we are don't have enough ip addresses, we have to use NAT. And since we use NAT we run into all these port forwarding issues.

My previous reply was really meant to provide another way for some people to get around some of those port forwarding issues (with IPv4).

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:34 am

Mac users who need to configure port-forwarding on an Airport Base Station should refer to this article.