Quick and easy access to web-based maps during a game

"How Do I...?"
heruca
Developer

Quick and easy access to web-based maps during a game

Post by heruca » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:09 am

Use BRPG's "Text Macro" feature to access web-based maps with just a few mouse clicks, rather than having to type in a long URL mid-game, or having to fish around for the URL so that you can copy it into the chat window.

How? Simply create a tab-delimited plain text file containing your map links, using any word processing app, before your game session.

1) Open a new text document to store your map URLs.
2) At the beginning of each line, type a short descriptive name for your map (e.g., "Country road", "Tavern, 1st Floor", etc.).
3) Press TAB, then type "map=" (sans quotes)
4) Type in (or paste) the URL to the map.
5) To add another map to the list, press Return and repeat steps 2-4. Do this for as many maps as you want to have quick access to during your current campaign.
6) When you're done, save the file to your "Text Macros" folder. Give the file a descriptive name (e.g., "Map Links") and a ".txt" suffix.

Now you can call up any of those maps during play by pressing the "Text Macro" button in the Chat window, selecting your Map Links file, and double-clicking the URL of the map you want to load. The map-loading command will be pasted into your chat input field, and all you have to do is press Return to load the map.

Be sure to test all your map links prior to game day, to make sure they work. This tip should be particularly useful for access to a library of generic, reusable maps that you never know when you might need.

In the next release of BRPG, I will include a sample Map Links file to show off this tip/capability.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:21 am

Here's a sample Map Links file. Download it, replace the "%20" in the filename with a space, and place the file in BRPG's "Text Macros" folder.
Attachments
Map Links.txt
(774 Bytes) Downloaded 590 times
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Knihi
Cannon Fodder

Can I do visual aids in text macros

Post by Knihi » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:33 pm

Can you do visual aids this way and not just maps? is the command something other than map= ?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:37 pm

Welcome, Knihi.

Yes, I suppose you could use this in one of two ways:

1) As a distribution method, to bypass the 2 MB transfer limit by first loading the image asset as a server-based map. Once the players have received the media, you can call it up as a visual aid. You can always use the Blackout feature to keep the players from seeing the image prematurely.

2) Use the map window as the actual presentation of the visual aid, by clearing any units and selecting "Force Gridless" option in the Map Settings panel.

Lordippon
Captain

Post by Lordippon » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:27 pm

Hi,

I was trying to understand this.

Is it only the basic map jpg that is loaded from the server? Or is it the complete encounter with objects and figures and everything?

Because that would be really cool.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:06 pm

Just the map. But most other media, with the exception of long music files, transfers quickly and reliably with the built-in peer-to-peer transfers.

BRPG v2 will probably allow for any media asset to be server-based.

KingMob4313
Cannon Fodder

Post by KingMob4313 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:14 pm

heruca wrote:Just the map. But most other media, with the exception of long music files, transfers quickly and reliably with the built-in peer-to-peer transfers.

BRPG v2 will probably allow for any media asset to be server-based.
Okay, I got this working and it's incredibly quick, but I'm getting this on my side now when I set it up like this.

What am I doing wrong? The others are getting the map just fine!

So I go to change map and... Do I need to have the same picture in my map directory structure? When I change it to that, it starts the peer to peer transfer.

I'm somewhat confused.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:23 pm

Are you getting that while you are connected to a GM/host? If so, it's a bug.

If not, it's most likely a typo in the URL.

KingMob4313
Cannon Fodder

Post by KingMob4313 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:32 pm

heruca wrote:Are you getting that while you are connected to a GM/host? If so, it's a bug.

If not, it's most likely a typo in the URL.
I'll test it further, it's while I'm working as a DM. The players are getting the map, but I get that instead of the map.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:39 pm

Since you posted in this thread, can I assume you are using a text macro to load the map? Or are you simply issuing a "map=" command in the chat window? Are you on Mac or Windows?

KingMob4313
Cannon Fodder

Post by KingMob4313 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:47 pm

heruca wrote:Since you posted in this thread, can I assume you are using a text macro to load the map? Or are you simply issuing a "map=" command in the chat window? Are you on Mac or Windows?
Using Windows, latest non-beta version, using a text macro to link it:

Simple Dungeon map=http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o276 ... rsLair.jpg

(The board ate the tab, of course).

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:28 pm

It's possible that the extra space after ".jpg" is messing things up.

Without the space at the end, the map loaded fine for me (but I am using v1.6g).

KingMob4313
Cannon Fodder

Post by KingMob4313 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:44 pm

heruca wrote:It's possible that the extra space after ".jpg" is messing things up.

Without the space at the end, the map loaded fine for me (but I am using v1.6g).
On my side, there is not an extra space after the jpg. But I noticed that the link only shows

Simple Dungeon map=http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o276 ... Necromance

in the chat window. Could it be possible that my link is far too long?

I used a tinypic link (http://i31.tinypic.com/152yff9.jpg) and it came up just fine. Seems to be truncating the size of the link.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:26 pm

Ah, you're spot-on. This was remedied in v1.4k.
ReadMe wrote:Bug fix: The text input field in the Chat window now allows for long text to wrap to another line, although the text field remains a fixed size.

KingMob4313
Cannon Fodder

Post by KingMob4313 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:27 pm

heruca wrote:Ah, you're spot-on. This was remedied in v1.4k.
ReadMe wrote:Bug fix: The text input field in the Chat window now allows for long text to wrap to another line, although the text field remains a fixed size.
Thank you so much, this level of service and direction is well appreciated.