Hidden vs Sideboard

"How Do I...?"
Halebop

Hidden vs Sideboard

Post by Halebop » Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:46 pm

I was confused as to the difference between hidden objects and sideboarded objects when I started playing with BRPG. So heres my attempt to confuse everyone else too. I'll refer to figures and object as just "objects" for simplicity...

Hidden:
GM can see...
Semi transparent object. Depending on the background map image this might not look very transparent. The unit manager displays it's status if you are unsure
Any light source assigned to the object if Fog of War (FoW) is switched on
Any Area of Effect (AoE) assigned to the object

Player can see...*
No object, it is invisible
A light source assigned to the object if FoW is switched on
No AoE, it is invisible

Sideboard:
GM can see...
Nothing. Sideboarding remove all traces of the object from the map. It can only be accessed again from the unit manager. If you restore a sideboarded object it will reappear where it was last left.

Player can see...
Nothing

...so why would I use one over the other?
...."Hidden" is useful for invisible or hiding creatures that nobody else can see but that the GM still wants to be able to see and use. Remember though, any light source they hold will still be visible to player clients

..."Sideboard" is useful to get rid of dead creatures without actually deleting them. Maybe you'll bring some new goblins to the map shortly so will just reuse that one instead if creating a new one again

..."Sideboard" can hide an object in a required location that is waiting for a special condition to be met. Perhaps the object is big and even if transparent as a hidden object would obscure too much detail beneath. As a sideboarded object it's already in it's proper place and can be revealed with a simple click in the unit manager

..."Hidden" can be used to reveal what's beneath an object to player clients but still leave the original covering object partially in view for the GM client

* as at Beta 1.08 there is a minor bug that lets a player see the blue "turn" halo around a hidden object.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:52 pm

Great tip. Perhaps I'll include something like this in the User Manual. This issue is complicated even more with the possibility of having "stealthy/invisible" status on a unit.

Sideboard is also useful for:

1. Keeping off-screen reinforcements ready for deployment at the proper time, or for holding a unit that's about to teleport into a specific place (that you'd rather not have to create from scratch during play).

2. You could have, for example, a chest object on the map, and a smashed version of it (with its contents spilling out) on the Sideboard, ready to be swapped into place. (OK, you actually already covered this)

"Stealthy/invisible" status is useful for:

1. Its primary purpose of indicating when a PC or NPC is trying to be stealthy, or visually indicating that a PC is invisible.

2. Using a regular figure (like an orc) as a ghost/spirit, since it is drawn semi-transparent.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Venger
General

Post by Venger » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:12 pm

Interesting. Sideboarding almost sounds like a single "Layer" in CC

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:27 pm

Sideboarding a unit is kind of like hiding a layer in Photoshop. The unit is still there, and retains all its settings, it's just not shown. Comes in handy for things like pre-deploying reinforcements, wandering monsters, secret rooms, etc.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.