Can't get grid to work

"How Do I...?"
Ellegon
Cannon Fodder

Can't get grid to work

Post by Ellegon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:51 am

Hi all,

I'm having trouble using a map and even though I read the manual, I can't seem to get it right :(

I'm trying to use this map: http://bogie-dj.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d51xu9y

Obviously it's too big (3633 x 4844), so I resized it to 2250 x 3000. But then the grid doesn't cover the whole map and I can't seem to find a setting that fits overall.

What would be the best way to process such a map?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:30 am

The problem with that map is that it exceeds BRPG's 40x40 cell maximum (it's over 48 squares high). So you have to chop it up, in this case into two halves, the top and the bottom. I've done that for you and have attached the map images as well as the Encounter files (so that the maps are pre-aligned to the grid for you).

Make sure you load each map manually before you load the Encounter, in order to get the map media imported into BRPG.

Another problem with the source map is that it has an irregular grid; it is not evenly spaced. Perhaps it was laid out by hand, I don't know. So you will see that the yellow grid is not always perfectly aligned with BRPG's grid. But it's very close, and quite playable.
Attachments
Encounters.zip
(1.23 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
Top Half.jpg
Top Half.jpg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 1973 times
Bottom Half.jpg
Bottom Half.jpg (2.16 MiB) Viewed 1972 times
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Ellegon
Cannon Fodder

Post by Ellegon » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:37 pm

Thanks a lot for the help and the files. I hope that I can get my next map to work.

Although I found out that I don't really need an exact grid anyway, as we play a very lean style and measures and stuff is always handled in the way of "more or less 10 metres" :)) So I can live with turning off the grid/snap-to-grid and just use it for rough distance calculation.