Occasionally purge your old/obsolete media...

"How Do I...?"
heruca
Developer

Occasionally purge your old/obsolete media...

Post by heruca » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:07 pm

Once in a while, take a look at the file size of your "User Cast.cxt" file, which is located in BRPG's "Support Files" folder. If the file is larger than a couple of hundred megabytes, it's time to do a bit of housecleaning and get rid of old media that you won't be using again anytime soon.

Choose the "Purge Media Assets" command from the BG button's popup menu. The Purge Media panel will open.

Browse through all the media, and when you see something that you no longer need, purge it by clicking on the "Purge" button. When you've reached the end of your media collection, click the "Done" button at the bottom of the screen. Your "User Cast.cxt" file should now be a fraction of the size it was before. BRPG's performance may also be noticeably faster, particularly in games featuring hundreds of units.

This purging should be done periodically, by both players and GMs.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Griffonbait
Cannon Fodder

Re: Occasionally purge your old/obsolete media...

Post by Griffonbait » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:00 am

This is weird.

I just did a fresh install, created one encounter with tokens, audio, map object tiles, etc, and my file is over 260 MB!

heruca
Developer

Re: Occasionally purge your old/obsolete media...

Post by heruca » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:34 am

JPGs and audio files lose any compression they had when they get imported into BRPG. I've seen 5 MB JPGs ballon to nearly 200 MBs, so your results are not all that unusual.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.