Board game with cards, suggested layout.

"How Do I...?"
goatee
Cannon Fodder

Board game with cards, suggested layout.

Post by goatee » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:26 pm

I'm currently trying to setup some play for a board game. The game has a board which players put tokens on to show what they have purchased. The game MOSTLY takes place using cards. Each player has a hand and plays cards on other players or themselves.
I need help or suggestions setting up an area for each persons hand which is hidden, a discard pile and the ability to play cards on each persons area of the board.
Using cards on the game board seems somewhat clumsy and REALLY slow. I have a decent pc quad core, 4 gigs of ram and tugging cards around seems slow and clunky. I like the speed of the actual card table, the deal to so and so mechanic works great but I can't lay cards anywhere but on the discard spot??
I've looked for some tutorials and help but most people seem to be asking for help making cards or setting up decks. The custom part of that seems to work great as well.
Thanks anyone! :0
Goat

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:19 pm

Welcome, goatee.

Are you using the Draw/Discard keyboard shortcuts? How is it slow? It should only take an instant to flip a card or to play it from your "hand".

Have you already discovered how to use the Stack & Stagger commands to manipulate your card deck/s?

The card table has an area below the draw deck and discard pile where players can lay down the cards they have played. Perhaps you aren't aware of that?

If you want to use cards on the game table, consider setting up a View where all the players store both their cards in hand and the cards they have played, as shown in this example. This way, you are only ever a button-click or a hotkey press away from viewing everything you need. Makes it easy to flip back and forth between the game board and the cards.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

goatee
Cannon Fodder

Post by goatee » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:35 pm

Thanks for the reply, I have played around with it some more and am getting better. A couple more questions.
When I resize my card deck on the gameboard table and draw a card, the card is tiny like before I resize them. I need to be able to draw a card and keep it hidden until I play it. It's my understanding from the manual that when you draw a card only you see it until you unhide it right?
On the card table, can I play cards to another persons play area somehow? Sometimes the cards played are bad things that stick with the person they are played on. I really would like to use the card table if possible because it seems MUCH easier but once I've learned more perhaps either could work. In your example I would need up to four areas for players to hold 5 cards each in secret and then be able to play them as they see fit on themselves or other players.
Thanks again! I'm getting farther! :)

goatee
Cannon Fodder

Post by goatee » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:37 pm

Also on the gameboard, discarding a card doesn't seem to do anything?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:51 pm

goatee wrote:When I resize my card deck on the gameboard table and draw a card, the card is tiny like before I resize them.
If you mean that the front and back of the cards are mismatched in size, that is easily corrected. Read pg. 86-87 of the BGE User Manual, paying particular attention to the "ResizeAll" command.
goatee wrote:I need to be able to draw a card and keep it hidden until I play it. It's my understanding from the manual that when you draw a card only you see it until you unhide it right?
Incorrect. Players can see cards that you have drawn, but they see the BACK of the card only, while you see the front of the card.
goatee wrote:On the card table, can I play cards to another persons play area somehow?
No, you can only do this on the game table window.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:58 pm

goatee wrote:Also on the gameboard, discarding a card doesn't seem to do anything?
It does do something, but you aren't seeing it, because you are not seeing what the other players would see. When you've drawn a card, only you can see what card it really is; other players just see the back of the card. When you play/discard a card, everyone gets to see what card it is (it's a face-up discard by default, but you can hold down the Shift key to discard it face-down, if needed).

Also, when you discard a card, ownership changes from just you to Everyone.

Re-read pg. 121 of the User Manual for more specific details.

timpane
Cannon Fodder

Post by timpane » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:26 am

I need to be able to draw a card and keep it hidden until I play it. It's my understanding from the manual that when you draw a card only you see it until you unhide it right?
Get free demos for Braindumps and University of Arkansas Community College at Batesville with 100% guaranteed success. Our best quality Isaca you well before appearing in the final exams of New York University

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:29 pm

Welcome, timpane.

Not quite. A card drawn using the "Draw Card" command works pretty much the same as drawing a card in the real world. The person who drew it sees the "secret" side of the card, and everyone else sees just the image for the back of the card. Thereafter, if you use the Discard command, it basically equates to putting the card in play on a table, secret-side up (whether you place it in a discard pile or just on the table space in front of you is irrelevant).

There is also a way of discarding face-down, by holding down a modifier key as you Discard. An example of when you might want to do this is in a game like p-oker, when you fold, and don't want anyone to see what was in your hand.

Hidden is a separate feature altogether. It determines whether a game component is visible to non-owners or not.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:37 pm

Stupid forum wasn't letting me post, and I couldn't figure out why. Turned out it was because my post contained the word "p o k e r".

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:36 pm

heruca wrote:Stupid forum wasn't letting me post, and I couldn't figure out why. Turned out it was because my post contained the word "p o k e r".
Yeah, that's the webhost's spam filter at work again. Such a useless feature. If you want I will complain to them about it.