Questions about Hosting

"How Do I...?"
Eru
Soldier

Questions about Hosting

Post by Eru » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:50 pm

I have been using BRPG face to face for a couple of months. A couple of friends have purchased the Player client and we are planning a session a couple of weeks from now as I prepare. Thinking ahead, we attempted a test run tonight, but I did run into some issues that after reading through troubleshooting, I should've thought of beforehand (but that's what test runs are for)

I am working on configuring my router for hosting; but I had some questions.

I noticed that I may be better off placing maps on a server for speed.

Would I just be placing the maps there or would it be more beneficial to host a game from a server? Is that possible? If so, do you have any good suggestions on a site (even if its by fee) that offers server space for that purpose?

I'm kind of new to such things I must admit, though my players seem to have some rudimentary knowledge on it.

I guess what I'm asking is what would be the best way to host a game even it requires an additional service. As long as its not more than about 15 to 20 bucks a month; it would be worth it. Anyone have some good experience with this?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:35 am

The computer you use to host the game session is essentially your game server. You should be fine as long as you give your players your external IP address and have set up port forwarding on your router.

Players need to configure nothing at all, but they should make sure they each use a unique username to join the game session.

Your ISP is probably giving you a small allotment of free webspace along with your internet connection and email account. You can use that space to upload maps to.

Yes, server-based maps load significantly faster for players than peer-to-peer map transfers, and more reliably, too.

The only thing faster is giving your players media asset bundles prior to play, in which case the map and other media loads instantly on-demand, with no delays due to behind-the-scenes file transfers.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Eru
Soldier

Post by Eru » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:44 am

Thank You

Good to know on that. I could also use the Drive function on my gmail I imagine for some of the media.

Oh also, is it possible to send an encounter file with the maps, masking objects, and at least their figures already on the board for them to load before connecting? and if they are on a player client, would they be unable to manipulate the objects? Its not that I think they would change much, but I imagine there would be some peeking if they could.

Just curious if that is possible with the format that the encounter files are saved under and if it could work like that

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:13 pm

Eru wrote:Oh also, is it possible to send an encounter file with the maps, masking objects, and at least their figures already on the board for them to load before connecting? and if they are on a player client, would they be unable to manipulate the objects? Its not that I think they would change much, but I imagine there would be some peeking if they could.

Just curious if that is possible with the format that the encounter files are saved under and if it could work like that
That's what the Media Bundle feature is for.
heruca wrote:another way of getting the map to your players is to send them a media asset bundle for the encounter/s in question. See pg 90 and 135-136 of the BRPG User's Manual for instructions.

Eru
Soldier

Post by Eru » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:50 pm

oh yeah. Can you tell I don't read everything entirely?

In my defense, I tend to always be moving quickly cause of time, but you know how that goes.

Thanks again