Connection problems

"How Do I...?"
Vitvox
Soldier

Connection problems

Post by Vitvox » Sat May 25, 2013 1:00 pm

Hello everyone,

I just bought the BRPG GM account yesterday, as well as some Floating Licenses.

Today, I was experimenting the connections with my brother and we could not make it work in any way.

We decided to use Hamachi, because I don't have access to the router right now, nor do I know which router it is and Hamachi seemed an easier solution.

We have configured Hamachi in each our firewalls (we can ping each other) and we have inserted the IP Hamachi provides, not the one BG provides.

We have also tried to turn off our Firewalls and it did not work.

My concern is that my ISP does not allow peer 2 peer incoming connections (I have read this on another topic) and if that is the case I will have to check another solution.

However, before that case, I would like to ask for your help to see if anything is amiss!

Thanks in advance

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat May 25, 2013 4:18 pm

Welcome, Vitvox.

It's been a long time since I used Hamachi. Does it let you specify which port gets forwarded? BRPG uses port 1626 by default.

Only the GM/host needs to be running Hamachi.

Have you already tried calling your ISP's Tech Support, to see if they might be disallowing peer-to-peer connections? Sometimes they do (rare) but are willing to allow it if you call and explain that you need it.

Hopefully a regular Hamachi user will see this and can provide additional tips/assistance.
Last edited by heruca on Sat May 25, 2013 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat May 25, 2013 4:19 pm

In the meantime, would it be possible for you to remove the router from the equation altogether? If so, you shouldn't need to use Hamachi at all, and port-forwarding won't be an issue.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Vitvox
Soldier

Post by Vitvox » Sat May 25, 2013 5:14 pm

I will have to ask my flatmate to call because I am living in Germany and german is not my strong point ahah

what do you mean by "removing the router from the equation"?

I will also ask my flatmate to give me the codes and the I will try to reconfigure the router, if that is what you mean

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun May 26, 2013 1:34 am

Vitvox wrote:what do you mean by "removing the router from the equation"?
He means that if you have physical access to your modem and if your router is not integrated directly into the modem, you should be able to disconnect the router and connect a single PC directly to the modem. Without your router acting as middle-man, port forwarding is not necessary.

Most people use routers either because they need many PCs connected at once, or because they do not have convenient physical access to their cable modems.

Port forwarding is necessary with a router connected because the router shares a single external IP address (a single internet identity) with all the PCs connected to it, but communications on a port can only be directed to a single PC. This also provides greater security, since hacks based upon access to ports will fail.

If you are able to disconnect your router and connect directly to the modem, be sure to uplug your modem's power for 30 seconds before trying to connect your PC to it. That will ensure that your modem "forgets" your router was connected to it and tries to look for a new device to assign the IP address to.

Vitvox
Soldier

Post by Vitvox » Sun May 26, 2013 7:00 am

I am using an WI-FI connection, so I suppose connecting the computer directly to the modem is impossible. There must be a router providing the WI-FI connection.

However, I must say I am not, by all means, an expert on this, so please correct me if I am wrong.

I have to wait for my flatmate to come home, because the router is in his room.

In the meantime, I thank you for the previous replies.

I will post again when I have more info/questions

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun May 26, 2013 11:08 am

heruca wrote:It's been a long time since I used Hamachi. Does it let you specify which port gets forwarded? BRPG uses port 1626 by default.

Only the GM/host needs to be running Hamachi.
I'm not a regular Hamachi user, but from what I have seen the players would also need to be using Hamachi, not just the host.

Hamachi bypasses the router by creating a virtual network and using Hamachi's servers to redirect internet traffic to ports that are already open on the host computer. The players would need to connect to that virtual network and then use the host's IP address within that virtual network to connect to him on BRPG.

Vitvox
Soldier

Post by Vitvox » Sun May 26, 2013 4:34 pm

So I have been trying to troubleshoot some problems.... here is the current situation:

- Using Hamachi, wields no result. My brother can't connect to me with his Hamachi open or closed;

- I cnfigured the router, using por 1626 (I know it is indifferent), TCP and I saved and applied. I even tried to open from 1624 to 1628, to give a margin, maybe that would work, but no results as well;

- Finally I tried to bypass the router as recommended, but I ran into another problem. I live in a Students "dorm". It is not a dorm, but sort of. And the internet comes from the university. In order to connect our PC's by wire, I think we must register somewhere and so, I can't connect by wire. I will try to see this this week and check if this is the problem.

What bothers me, is that with Hamachi, none of these problems should arise :x

what do you think?

Vitvox
Soldier

Post by Vitvox » Sun May 26, 2013 6:47 pm

it is impossible that it is an issue with me using version 1.8b isn't it? I am just asking because it is just some days old and not doubting of your work Heruca :)

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun May 26, 2013 9:53 pm

Vitvox wrote:- Using Hamachi, wields no result. My brother can't connect to me with his Hamachi open or closed;
Was he connected to your hamachi network while he had hamachi open? Merely opening the application and not joining your network wouldn't work.

Vitvox
Soldier

Post by Vitvox » Mon May 27, 2013 4:16 am

Omnidon wrote:
Vitvox wrote:- Using Hamachi, wields no result. My brother can't connect to me with his Hamachi open or closed;
Was he connected to your hamachi network while he had hamachi open? Merely opening the application and not joining your network wouldn't work.
Yes he was :) both of us had Hamachi open and I created a network and he joined. Network name and password and everything :)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon May 27, 2013 3:20 pm

Sorry for not responding sooner. I had a very busy weekend, and am only now starting to catch up on my backlog. Thanks, Omnidon, for responding in my absence.

Vitvox, see if any of these posts are helpful to resolve your Hamachi issue:

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Vitvox
Soldier

Post by Vitvox » Mon May 27, 2013 7:34 pm

Heruca :D

I can happily inform that the first link provided the answer to my problems! Everyone can connect and it works great :D

Thank you so much both for your help! And a special thanks to you Heruca for the solution and incredible support (one of the things this game was very known for!!)

thank you :D this weekend D&D begins thanks to you both x)

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon May 27, 2013 10:22 pm

Excellent! Now you can start enjoying the software. :)

Vitvox
Soldier

Post by Vitvox » Tue May 28, 2013 3:12 am

and I will I assure you!

For future reference, if you apply the changes as described in the first link, you have to be careful as Hamachi will be the main network of your computer. If you try to use you computer IP, I believe it won't work (at least this seemed to be the case with BG). You have to undo the steps in order to use the Local Network again.

Thanks again Heruca!