light source moved away from NPC and other questions

"How Do I...?"
Leusipher
Cannon Fodder

light source moved away from NPC and other questions

Post by Leusipher » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:46 pm

I have been considering using a projector for maps. Battlegrounds seems to be a reasonable choice to implement this so I have been trying out the demo. I already read in the forum that LoS blocking walls would not be implemented in this version, bummer but I can deal.

What I am not sure of is what is supposed to happen after you light up an NPC and then back the light source away. I was playing around with combined dynamic and manual persistent FoW. Is there a way to automatically re-hide an NPC out of visual range? It looks like to me if the PCs move away (flee in terror) from something I have to manually hide it when they are out of range.

I was going to try and build a small, couple room dungeon. Where are the walls and such to add to the map?

Is it possible to demo an actual connected session? I haven't tried it yet but it appears the demo can only connect to a purchased version with a floating license. I was just hoping to get a view of the client interface to see how it looks and works as well.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:09 am

Welcome, Leusipher.

If you wan't things to be re-hidden automatically when a light source gets out of range, you need to disable the "Persistent FoW" option.

You can indeed use the free Demo to connect to another game session, regardless of whether the session is being hosted by a free or licensed client. See this forum thread for instructions if you plan on running both clients on the same computer.

For a quick dungeon layout, you can either draw it out with BRPG's drawing tools, or use a tileset like this one to piece something together.

If you decide to purchase BRPG, be aware that there is a much more comprehensive dungeon tileset available.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Leusipher
Cannon Fodder

Post by Leusipher » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:36 pm

I was using the persistent fog because I want the map as you go effect. What I was hoping was that the revealed map would stay but any monsters out of light range would be hidden.

I found a topic on the forum from 6 years ago saying you were going to implement the free text option. Is that still in the works? I see that I can use the status borders to indicate health of enemies but I would like to have a visible label showing how much damage has been done to it.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:50 pm

In that case, use the Persistent setting, and just manually hide any creature that is no longer within the range of a light source, or out of line of sight of a player character.

There is still no "Free Text" option, unfortunately, but you can easily place a text label with the draw tools and move it around with the character that it pertains to. Or you can edit the default text labels in a word processor to include your custom label.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.