Component Size

"How Do I...?"
rochambeaux
Sergeant

Component Size

Post by rochambeaux » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:49 am

What is the initial size that components are placed on the Game Board are based on?

I'm trying to create a deck of cards and no matter how I size the JPGs they import into the game really big. And the portrait view is absolutely enormous.

I know I can resize the decks/items via the Chat window and "reszie" but is that the only way?

Is there any way to modify the portrait view size?

heruca
Developer

Re: Component Size

Post by heruca » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:14 am

The default size for new components is 50%, so that they appear at full size when fully zoomed (200% zoom).

Portrait art is always shown at the original size (100%). It is not currently possible to specify a custom size for portrait art.

Sounds like you need to downsample your artwork in an image editor (Photoshop, Gimp, etc.) prior to importing it into the program.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:03 pm

By downsample do you mean reduce the pixel height & width or reduce the DPI?

I tried scaling the images down by 50% but they still looked the same afterwards (haven't tried changing DPI).

I'm using a QHD display - could that resolution make BGE a bit finicky?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:17 pm

DPI and PPI are irrelevant. What matters are pixel dimensions.

You probably just need to purge your previously-imported artwork using the Purge Media panel. Then place the resized artwork as normal.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:13 pm

Well I'm obviously doing something wrong here..

I've resized the deck down by 50% three times. The cards are now under 100K in size and about 199 x 310 pixels in size.

Each time I did a resize I did the Purge/Refresh and even tried creating a new deck - no change.

I'm placing the card images under the COMPONENTS folder and using CREATE CARD DECK.

Is that the way I should be doing it?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:26 pm

Purge/Refresh is only good for artpacks. Purge Media is what you want.

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:15 pm

OK, that worked (after purging the deck had a ? but I just deleted it and re-created the deck).

Of course now it was way too small since I had reduced the images 3 or 4 times :)

Does the Game table have a set pixel dimension that can be used as a reference? i.e. if it is X pixels wide and Y pixels high I can manage my components accordingly and size them before importing into the game and now worry about having to resize from the chat window.

Thanks

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:26 pm

122 pixels per grid square

rochambeaux
Sergeant

Post by rochambeaux » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:01 pm

Perfect! thanks!

That manes the maxium board size is 4,880 x 4,880 pixels.

This will help tremendously for creating custom game specific playmats, etc and making "spots" for different components/cards to go, etc.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:42 am

Actually, the maximum board size maxes out at 4000x4000 pixels. I suggest you read pages 138-140 of the BGE User Manual.

rochambeaux
Sergeant

Post by rochambeaux » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:09 pm

Interesting.. So at 34+ squares the pixel count starts to "compress down" so that 40 squares it's 100 pixels?

Or does some sort of "warping" occur?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Oct 13, 2014 1:12 pm

No warping occurs. There's simply a limit on maximum image size allowed.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:57 pm

It's a limitation in the development software (Adobe Director) used to create BG combined with the fact that heruca originally designed the map, fog of war, and grids to be loaded as single large images (rather than auto-tiling programmatically).

If you do not need the dynamic fog of war or snap to grid features, you can create larger maps using images split into smaller tiles and added as background objects set to Tile mode.