Draw and Discard Functions

"How Do I...?"
rochambeaux
Sergeant

Draw and Discard Functions

Post by rochambeaux » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:18 am

Is there a way to change the offset cards are moved to when they are drawn?

It seems there's a "sweet spot" for whatever the default setting is versus the size of the deck images; to big and they overlap. Too small and they move far to the right.

Discard: Does this do nothing visible in a single player mode but in a multi-player setup it would make the card visible to all?

heruca
Developer

Re: Draw and Discard Functions

Post by heruca » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:46 am

Yes, see pg. 77 of the BGE User Manual. Then see pg. 87 for a way to programatically set the stagger distance using the Chat window.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:40 pm

rochambeaux wrote:Discard: Does this do nothing visible in a single player mode but in a multi-player setup it would make the card visible to all?
Correct.

There is an option to discard face-down, but by default, discards are revealed to other players.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

rochambeaux
Sergeant

Post by rochambeaux » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:18 am

heruca wrote:Yes, see pg. 77 of the BGE User Manual. Then see pg. 87 for a way to programatically set the stagger distance using the Chat window.
Must be doing something wrong.

When I adjust the stagger setting it does not impact the offset for Draw. When I stagger the cards it works but not for draw.

Is there a way to move the destination for cards that are drawn?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:42 am

No, there isn't. Drawn cards are moved a fixed distance to the right. I believe the distance is 2 grid squares, or 244 pixels.

rochambeaux
Sergeant

Post by rochambeaux » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:18 pm

OK so your reply above about stagger distance does not apply?

In order to not have drawn cards overlap the source deck then the cards would need to be sized down very very small?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:36 pm

Ignore the stagger info I gave earlier. I mistook your use of the word drawn to mean "displayed or rendered", rather than "pulled from a deck".

How big are your card images? Super-jumbo-size? I don't think I've ever had an issue with drawn cards overlapping the source deck.

rochambeaux
Sergeant

Post by rochambeaux » Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:14 pm

The last test I did I re-sized them all to a standard 400 pixels wide - at that size the drawn card overlaps the source deck about 50%

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:34 pm

What's the scale adjustment on each card component set to? Try lowering the scale adjustment until the cards don't overlap at all.

Once you find the correct scale adjustment setting to use, the "resizeall" command (see pg. 87) issued in the chat window is ideal for bulk resizing of cards and other game components.

rochambeaux
Sergeant

Post by rochambeaux » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:48 pm

So if I wanted the drawn cards to not overlap then they would need to be sized down to no more than 1 grid square wide?

Would the resize all also change the grid square size as well? I'm confused how using "resizeall" differs from changing the size of the images.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:56 pm

Off the top of my head, you probably want a scale adjustment of somewhere between 25-30%, given that your cards are 400 pixels wide.

As for the size of the card images, for a CCG-style card, I generally size the bitmaps to the minimum size I can that keeps the smallest text legible. This is the size that magnified cards (i.e. Portraits) will be displayed at.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:58 pm

resize changes the scale adjustment of the current token, whereas resizeall simultaneously changes ALL the tokens on a multi-token component.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:07 pm

The size of the grid squares is not affected by either command.