Custom Dice

"How Do I...?"
rochambeaux
Sergeant

Custom Dice

Post by rochambeaux » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:56 pm

How hard would it be to make custom dice for use in BGE?

heruca
Developer

Re: Custom Dice

Post by heruca » Tue Oct 28, 2014 2:07 am

Do you mean dice that you can roll on the game table window? Very easy. Just create a multi-token component.

If you mean creating a custom dice "plug-in" for use in the Dice Roller window, that would require a copy of Adobe Director, since you would need to compile a ".cxt" file. Or perhaps I can put it together for you if you provide the graphics for each die face.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

rochambeaux
Sergeant

Post by rochambeaux » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:01 pm

Thanks!

I have access to Adobe Director - never used and have no idea how it works but I've self taught myself PhotoShop and Illustrator well enough to be dangerous :)

Let me take a stab at it first and see how much I can muck it up...

With BGE I'm pretty confident with my ability to do card based games - the dice is for my next real project:

http://wizkidsgames.com/mageknight/

It requires a LOT of bit and token scanning - I could do the dice as a mult-token but I really love the dice plug-in feature. If I can get that to work I have a number of dice based games that I'd like to do as well.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:33 pm

Here's an example of an existing custom die, as seen in the Director environment.

Just take a blank cast in Director and import an image to use for each die face. Might have to use a special naming convention for each image, but it's really a simple thing to put together.

Last step is to encrypt the cast into a copy-protected cast file (".cxt").
Attachments
Sample Custom Die Cast.png
Sample Custom Die Cast.png (23.92 KiB) Viewed 26470 times
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

rochambeaux
Sergeant

Post by rochambeaux » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:11 pm

Is .CXT a format not used in Director 12? I was able to load the images, etc. but the only option I can find is to save as a .CST file.

I even Googled encrypt and CXT and found nothing. Do I need an older version of Director?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:20 pm

See if D12 has a menu with a command to "Protect Cast" or something along those lines. I am not currently at a computer to check.
Always keep a backup of your CST file, because creating a CXT overwrites your original.

rochambeaux
Sergeant

Post by rochambeaux » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:06 pm

I uninstalled D12 and tried D11.5.

I found a "Protect" option under XTRAS->Update Movies.

is that the correct option?

It did let me create a CXT but I don't know if I did it correctly - can't figure out how to load it into BGE.

I read through the Dice Artpack instructions but they seem to be written for that deployment specifically - I have a CXT file only but the ArtPack had folders fro each dice with ".bgd" files.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:40 pm

Yes, that is the right option. The cast file needs to be named by die type abbreviation (eg "d6"), then a color, then a unique name (eg "Hero Die").

Place the CXT file in the Dice folder of the BGE installation, within the appropriate color subfolder. Do this BEFORE you launch BGE.

rochambeaux
Sergeant

Post by rochambeaux » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:18 am

Followed instructions above and no luck. If I try this :

Dice Macro - Dice Set - White

Getting the following error: Movie F:\BGE v1_5 Win\Dice Sets
White\d6 White MageKnight.cxt cannot be loaded. The file version it too new.

If I try to "Load Deployment" my CXT is not visible - it only sees BGD files.

What am I missing?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:07 am

It's possible that D11.5 is too new to compile the external cast into a format that BGE can use. Email me your CST file and I'll compile it for you (using D10 2004 MX) and send it back.

The Deployment file is easy enough to make, assuming you've named your die graphic files exactly the same as the graphics you placed in your CST file. Put your dice graphics into a folder inside your Components folder, then make a multi-token component out of that folder's contents. Select the on-screen die, then select the "Save Deployment" command from the BG button's popup menu.

rochambeaux
Sergeant

Post by rochambeaux » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:39 pm

heruca wrote:It's possible that D11.5 is too new to compile the external cast into a format that BGE can use. Email me your CST file and I'll compile it for you (using D10 2004 MX) and send it back.

The Deployment file is easy enough to make, assuming you've named your die graphic files exactly the same as the graphics you placed in your CST file. Put your dice graphics into a folder inside your Components folder, then make a multi-token component out of that folder's contents. Select the on-screen die, then select the "Save Deployment" command from the BG button's popup menu.
The last part about the die graphic files was the missing part. Once I did that it seems to work, even with Director 11.5 and 12.

With those version you have to make sure to create an "external" cast otherwise you wont get a CXT when you protect it.

I'm going to compile this whole process with some screenshots as a reference - I'll send it to you when I'm done.

I do think there's an issue with the new versions of Director and the Dice macro. It still gives the same message even after doing everything else.

This may be a challenge - I couldn't find Macromedia Director 10 for sale anywhere, even eBay..

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:36 pm

I'd be happy to do the final conversion from CST to CXT for anyone with Director 11 or 12 who wants to create an artpack or custom die.

rochambeaux
Sergeant

Post by rochambeaux » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:52 pm

So if I go the multi-token route It's basically going to be a "flat" image that simulates a dice roll using the CTRL-R command? There's no need for the CXT, correct?

Is the only way to get the dice "look" and roll result reporting is via the dice macro?

I don't understand the relationship between the CXT file and the BGD files in the Deployment folders for the Dice Pack. It sounds like here are 3 separate processes that somehow interplay with each-other to get the fancy dice that have the "3d" shape, roll sound and result reporting but I'm missing the connection.

Multi-token Component (BGD file)
CXT File
Dice macro

Appreciate your offer to build the CXT files/art-packs but that would probably be too burdensome. I'm thinking there has to be a better mousetrap in here somewhere :)

rochambeaux
Sergeant

Post by rochambeaux » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:45 am

bump

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:55 am

rochambeaux wrote:Is the only way to get the dice "look" and roll result reporting is via the dice macro?
Yes.

Deployments are only for dice on the mapboard/gametable.

rochambeaux
Sergeant

Post by rochambeaux » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:26 pm

heruca wrote:
rochambeaux wrote:Is the only way to get the dice "look" and roll result reporting is via the dice macro?
Yes.

Deployments are only for dice on the mapboard/gametable.

Thanks. I'm still searching for a copy of Director 10 - can't find a copy anywhere. You'd think 10 year old software would be available someplace :)

rochambeaux
Sergeant

Post by rochambeaux » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:30 pm

I was able to create a new cast and encrypt it to CTX. BGE "sees" the new dice in the dice macro window without crashing or any error messages. When I click on it the popup for number of dice appears but that's it - It won't select any.

(See attachment)

I placed the CTX file under \Dice Sets\White and named it "d6 White MKDice.cxt". What am I missing?

As far as dice on the game board itself - is a CTX required only if I want to use it in the dice macro window and/or in an Artpack?

I don;t see how the process you described about creating the multi-unit token and creating a deployment uses the CTX - am I missing something there to?

Thanks again for all your help!!
Attachments
unnamed.png
unnamed.png (152.19 KiB) Viewed 26380 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:34 pm

rochambeaux wrote:I placed the CTX file under \Dice Sets\White and named it "d6 White MKDice.cxt". What am I missing?
If you are simply replacing the default d6, try naming the CXT exactly the same as the old one. See this post for instructions I posted for another custom die, then extrapolate for your needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:36 pm

rochambeaux wrote:As far as dice on the game board itself - is a CTX required only if I want to use it in the dice macro window and/or in an Artpack?

I don;t see how the process you described about creating the multi-unit token and creating a deployment uses the CTX - am I missing something there to?
A CXT file is only required if you are going to use the custom die in the Dice Roller window.

A Deployment file is only required if you are going to use the custom die on the game table window.

gunnarskeep
Cannon Fodder

Post by gunnarskeep » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:46 pm

You can download Director MX 2004 (v10.1) from their website. Amazingly, Adobe is offering up free activation codes for that version due to their activation servers being disabled for that old software. You can actually get a number of older Adobe products this way.

That is how I obtained Director and am using that with great success in support of BRPG.

Hope this helps!

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:09 pm

That's pretty sweet. Thanks for the info.

rochambeaux
Sergeant

Post by rochambeaux » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:34 pm

heruca wrote:
rochambeaux wrote:I placed the CTX file under \Dice Sets\White and named it "d6 White MKDice.cxt". What am I missing?
If you are simply replacing the default d6, try naming the CXT exactly the same as the old one. See this post for instructions I posted for another custom die, then extrapolate for your needs.
Do I need to name the individual images within the CXT the exact same way as well?

I tried just replacing the D6 CXT file and renaming it exactly the same but no luck.

If the naming convention extends into the CXT files what is that format?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:37 am

Does the attached image help clarify how the individual dice should be named? Just the number at the end changes, for each sequential image.
Attachments
custom die naming.png
custom die naming.png (47.11 KiB) Viewed 26162 times

rochambeaux
Sergeant

Post by rochambeaux » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:06 am

No luck - named the images inside the CST exactly as your example, then made it into a CXT.

Moved it into the white dice folder and renamed it d6 White.CXT

It shows up in the Dice Window but does nothing.
Attachments
droll.rar
(393.86 KiB) Downloaded 481 times

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:26 pm

The images were not named the same. There should not be a number and a colon preceding each castmember's name.

Once I fixed that, I got the custom die to work, but it was too large. See below.
Attachments
custom die too large.png
custom die too large.png (266.44 KiB) Viewed 26150 times