Custom Dice

"How Do I...?"
heruca
Developer

Re: Custom Dice

Post by heruca » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:28 pm

So I decided to redo the graphics at the correct size, using the images you provided and a blank white die image that I had here.

Now it looks like this.
Attachments
custom die resized.png
custom die resized.png (207.08 KiB) Viewed 4052 times
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:29 pm

I will email you the CST and CXT files.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

rochambeaux
Sergeant

Post by rochambeaux » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:13 pm

Thanks!!

How did you get the Dice Art Pack images to look so nice? Are they 3D rendered/vectored images or were they scanned/photographed somehow?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:53 am

The Dice artpack images are the same as the dice that are built into BRPG's Dice Roller, just re-packaged for use on the main window. The images were made from a scan that Kepli provided me of his dice. I just retouched and recolored those images in Photoshop. Sometimes I erased the pips or numbers to create a blank die, upon which I could place other images.

rochambeaux
Sergeant

Post by rochambeaux » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:03 pm

heruca wrote:The Dice artpack images are the same as the dice that are built into BRPG's Dice Roller, just re-packaged for use on the main window. The images were made from a scan that Kepli provided me of his dice. I just retouched and recolored those images in Photoshop. Sometimes I erased the pips or numbers to create a blank die, upon which I could place other images.
Wow -I'd like to know what scanner/process he used. I tried all kinds of tricks to scan dice and none worked well.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:11 pm

He sent me a bunch of top-down photos like the one attached below. I had to cut out each die in Photoshop, add my own dropshadow, and I had to do that for each and every die face of every die type. Then I had to colorize each graphic to produce all the dice colors.

Other virtual tabletop apps available at the time were simply showing die roll results with text messages, or using badly-rendered 3D images. I wanted to get a more photographic look to the dice. It was a lot of work, but I think it pays off.
Attachments
Dice (1).pdf
(680.17 KiB) Downloaded 252 times