Have to keep going to the license menu

"How Do I...?"
e-man
Cannon Fodder

Have to keep going to the license menu

Post by e-man » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:13 pm

I recently purchased the 4-player BGE and noticed most of the time when I open the executable again I have to click on the B button and go to license and unlock it again and change it from 2-player to 4-player to remove the demo mode. I was wondering is there a way to change the default to 4-player and not have to click the unlock button each time I go back in? It's really weird because sometimes it will go to the gamer client, but most of the time it starts back on demo mode.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Re: Have to keep going to the license menu

Post by Omnidon » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:14 am

Sounds like it is failing to save or access your license information for some reason.
What OS/environment are you running under?
Which version of BGE?
You only have one instance of the BGE executable (.exe) that you are using on that computer, correct?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:54 am

That is not normal behavior, it should just be booting up in licensed mode every single time. Omnidon already asked the important questions, so I'll await the answers.

Could you also email me a screenshot of your BGE license panel taken when it has failed to recognize your 4-player license? Thanks.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

e-man
Cannon Fodder

Post by e-man » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:56 am

Running Windows XP SP2

I have multiple instances of the same program in different folders, one for each game. I attached a couple of screenshots. I noticed if my computer is hooked up to the internet, it automatically goes to the gamer client, but if I'm offline it starts on demo mode and have to unlock it. I erased the response code from the screenshot wasn't sure if anyone could use that info or not but didn't want to take a chance :)
Attachments
demo2.JPG
demo2.JPG (92.01 KiB) Viewed 8627 times
demo1.JPG
demo1.JPG (47.07 KiB) Viewed 8627 times

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:27 pm

e-man wrote:I have multiple instances of the same program in different folders, one for each game.
Make sure you're using different .exe file names for each instance to ensure they each get their own profile folder (then re-activate the renamed one).
Note that you can't connect to yourself if using the same license for both instances.
e-man wrote:I noticed if my computer is hooked up to the internet, it automatically goes to the gamer client, but if I'm offline it starts on demo mode and have to unlock it.
The only thing it checks for on the internet that I am aware of is the latest version number and the current license blacklist, but failing to retrieve those shouldn't prevent you from running it licensed while offline.

e-man
Cannon Fodder

Post by e-man » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:42 pm

I'll have to try renaming the .exe files and see what that does

Thanks

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:19 pm

I've yet to run some tests to see if this is a bug or not, and decide how to address this.

But it strikes me that one possible solution in the meantime might be to duplicate the BGE EXE file, then rename both EXEs to something like "BGE Online" and "BGE Offline". Launch the online version when you HAVE internet connectivity and input your license code. Launch the second instance of BGE when you DON'T have internet connectivity and input your other license code. I may need to provide this second code if it differs from the first code (in which case, send me your second Challenge Code).

Perhaps if registered in this way, you'll no longer need to re-input your license info every time you launch the program, regardless of your internet connectivity at the time.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:34 pm

I've been unable to duplicate this issue. Tested on a Mac using BGE v1.6. Will test on a Windows PC on Monday.

e-man
Cannon Fodder

Post by e-man » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:10 pm

It's really not too big a deal since it only takes a couple of seconds to unlock the license. The response code is always saved so all I ever have to do is just change it to 4-player instead of 2-player and click the unlock button. Haven't tried 1.6 yet. I did try renaming the battlegrounds gaming engine.exe file but it changes the challenge code. When I changed the name back the challenge code changed back to what it was and I could unlock it again.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:46 pm

I was able to replicate the issue today on a Windows PC (Win 7). BGE v1.6 will not change this behavior. I will try to fix it when I get some free time. Priority: high.