Transparency failure

"How Do I...?"
Zyr0
Cannon Fodder

Transparency failure

Post by Zyr0 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:13 pm

Hi !

I'm currently creating a custom art pack for a game I intended to play on this summer with some friends. But i'm having a minor issue : I can't make the background of my minis transparent. I tried absolutely everything : different format, removing the background on GIMP by several ways, doing so on Paint, coloring everything in white in both software etc... nothing worked. Yet I have a mini that I did before and it is indeed transparent and I can't remember how I did that.

Some help would be welcome, thanks in advance.

heruca
Developer

Re: Transparency failure

Post by heruca » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:52 pm

Are you saving the images as PNGs with transparency? That's essential.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:04 pm

And by that he means you should ensure that your export/save settings in your image editor are set to save transparency.
Even if it has a transparent background while editing, often the export settings default to having transparency disabled.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:41 pm

I'm not proficient with Gimp, but I know it can do what you are trying to do with it. Try searching for video tutorials on YouTube (e.g. search for "Gimp transparency").
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Zyr0
Cannon Fodder

Post by Zyr0 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:51 am

Oh yes that was the issue ! I wasn't exporting my files correctly, thanks for your support :D !
For people having the same issue as me, to make a transparent background in GIMP, this is the procedure :

PS : Make sure your image is in PNG format before doing anything.

-Add an Alpha channel in Layer/Transparency. (If the option is disabled, you already have one.)

-Select the background with the "By color select" tool in Tools/Selection tools.

-Click the "Color to Alpha" option in "Color".

Then, this is the part I was failing to execute :

-click File/Export as...

-Select your image

-Export and replace

-Quit GIMP

-Click "Discard changes".

And it's done.