Running multiple instances of BRPG on one computer

"How Do I...?"
heruca
Developer

Running multiple instances of BRPG on one computer

Post by heruca » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:10 pm

1) Create a second copy of BRPG. Either duplicate your existing BRPG directory, or use the original zip file to to create a new version in a different location on your hard disk.

2) Rename the EXE file in the second copy to be something different than the name of the EXE file in your primary copy (e.g., "BRPG Player View"). This is necessary to ensure that each instance uses its own Preference settings, and makes it easy to tell at a glance which of the two instances is which when you are Alt-Tabbing between programs.

3) Launch both instances.

4) Host a game in the first instance.

5) Join that game using the second instance.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

mahhand
Captain

Post by mahhand » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:52 pm

What ip number should I enter to join the hosted session in a game that is being hosted on the same machine?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:09 pm

The one reported in the host instance's Chat window, if I'm not mistaken. Been a long time since I did this.
Last edited by heruca on Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

mahhand
Captain

Post by mahhand » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:28 pm

K thank you. I imagine that the transfer rate of assets between the clients would be the fastest possable this way no?

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:44 pm

It may be faster, if you typically have slow upload speeds over your internet connection. There's still a 2MB max per message, so maps will be transferred in chunks/rows and pieced back together on the second client.

You can avoid in-game transfers altogether if you export your Encounter assets to external media bundles. Copy those bundles to the second instance and they'll auto-load on demand. Or you can even manually import the bundles prior to your game session so that all media loading will happen "instantly".

nightwalker450
General

Post by nightwalker450 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:05 pm

I've had a few instances where not all map objects got transferred. Easiest way I've found to get them to load, is step the turn sequencer a few times. That seems to trigger something that will load other objects. Then I just reset the round back to 1. There's only been a few instances where this has happened, but this seems to be a fairly reliable work around for me.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:18 pm

An easier/faster way to force a full game-state update (which in turn results in transfers of missing media) is to move a unit up or down one notch in the Unit Manager.

Bizmal
Cannon Fodder

HI

Post by Bizmal » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:24 pm

When I run two instances on my PC it says I need a floating license? I've already paid for the GM client why is it asking me this?

Bizmal
Cannon Fodder

BS...

Post by Bizmal » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:19 am

I found out why in the manual. The whole point for buying this software was for the Battle grid and tokens, fog of war. Now I have to buy more.... Disappointed. I won't be buying more. I'll let my friends know.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:20 am

I'm sorry for the confusion, Bizmal.

Reading back over my entire website, I now realize that it was never explicitly stated that to run a face-to-face game, you need either a GM Client and a Player Client, or a GM Client, a Floating License, and the free Demo.

I assure you this was an innocent oversight on my part, and is in no way some sort of nefarious "bait and switch" scheme. The Licenses page has now been updated to clarify this requirement and hopefully prevent such confusion in the future.

Since that information was not available at the time you made your purchase, you are welcome to request a full refund, if you want. Just email me saying you want a refund and forward me your PayPal receipt so that I know which order to refund. My email address can be found in a link beneath this post.

zWolf
Soldier

Post by zWolf » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:46 pm

I'm guessing that running multiple instances of BRPG on one computer is a recommended way to run Face to Face Games?

the alternative to two machines right?

So, my assumption is that I'd have the 'gm' output on my laptop, and the 'player view' on the tv/external monitor.

I'm going to be trying this out on monday at the game shop I hope.

if there are other threads I should read with tips and tricks to face to face play, let me know.

thanks,

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:30 pm

It's best to have two machines if possible, especially if using Fog of War. The next best solution is two clients on a single computer.

Small tip: You can set a preference on the GM Client so that the Floating License is automatically issued to the second instance when it connects.

BradN
Cannon Fodder

Post by BradN » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:50 am

I thought I would relate my experience in setting up two instances of Battlegrounds RPG on the same computer for play on an extended desktop monitor. I don't know if this should be added as a step, or posted as a bug.

Operating System: Window 7
BGRPG: V1.7d

When I purchased BGRPG, I bought the GM and a floating license so I could run two instances. I first set up instance #1 as GM and installed both licenses. After experimenting with it for a day and setting up my preferences, I decided to go ahead and try installing the second instance.

Within a directory, I created a second subdirectory where my two directories were named:

BRPGv1_7dWin <-- my original directory
BRPGv1_7dWin - Client <-- my new directory

Within the BRPGv1_7dWin - Client directory, I renamed the Battlegrounds RPG Edition.exe[\b] to Battlegrounds RPG Edition - Client.exe[\b]

I then started my original executable. Once it was up and running, I started the client. After setting up the IP address on the Client to match that of the original, everything looked like it was going to work, but then I got a message that the client was waiting for the license to be issued (or something like that).

I discovered that my original install had lost both the GM and floating licenses. To correct, I reinstalled both licenses to the original version and everything appeared to be working. It was at that point that I soon found that many (if not all) of the preferences I had set in the original install had been reset back to default. After adjusting, things now appear to be working well.

You make mention of making sure to rename the second install's executable so that they wouldn't share the same preferences and mess things up, so I took caution to make sure the executable was renamed before running it.

Anyway, this wasn't a big issue since I quickly figured out what to do. Let me know if you feel it is a bug and I'll repost it to the bug forum.

After our first few game sessions, I'll create a post to let you know how it went and maybe include a few screenshots.

Brad N.

Brad N.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:30 pm

Is there any chance that you renamed the GM Client as well? That would cause preferences to revert to defaults, and license info to be "lost".

BradN
Cannon Fodder

Post by BradN » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:55 pm

No, but in rethinking this, I'm wondering if it was the way I installed the second, "client" version. Instead of doing a fresh install, I copied all of the folders from the original install. I did that because I thought it would be the easiest way of copying all the maps and artwork that I had already copied or created.

In retrospect, I should have installed fresh to avoid any possible issues. But maybe my mistake will help someone else.

I was coming back to the forum to update my post, but you beat me. You're quick!! :)

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:34 am

BradN wrote:In retrospect, I should have installed fresh to avoid any possible issues. But maybe my mistake will help someone else.
Copying the BRPG folder should have no effect on licensing as long as you rename the second instance of BRPG.

The BRPG license info is not stored in the BRPG folder:
heruca wrote:Here is where the preference files are stored on Mac OS X:
[YourUserFolder]:Library:Application Support:Macromedia:Director MX 2004:Battlegrounds RPG Edition:Prefs:

In Windows, the preference files are stored in an invisible folder located here:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Macromedia\Director MX 2004\Battlegrounds RPG Edition\Prefs\

(Replace "Administrator" with your windows account name. That's a hidden folder so you may have to adjust your folder viewing options).