Tiles

BTS1967
General

Tiles

Post by BTS1967 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:04 pm

Pretty much all of the games I play have configurable tiles to create the board; thus every game is different.

Some games come into play with a board configured based on a scenario with those tiles fully displayed. Typically this is predetermined and anyone can set up the board.

Some have the tiles hidden and they are revealed through exploration; once a tile is explored everyone can see it. Though an alternative is that only those who explore the tile can see it.

Two different variations exist here. 1) the board is completely randomly created with noone aware of what is what with the exception of their starting tile. 2) Each player is dealt a number of tiles that only they can see. They can then build the board (placing the tile either for public sight or hidden till explored).

Regardless of either of the above, need the ability to drop tiles onto the board. Automating the random generation would be great but an alternative is to have the tiles randomly sorted upside down and players drag each tile (without knowing what is what) onto the board structure.

Balesir
General

Re: Tiles

Post by Balesir » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:56 am

Neat ideas here; this one triggered some building thoughts:
BTS1967 wrote:Some have the tiles hidden and they are revealed through exploration; once a tile is explored everyone can see it. Though an alternative is that only those who explore the tile can see it.
It occurs to me that this could be done with a variation on the 'multiple images per figure/object' functionality included in the latest BRPG release (I think - I haven't actually tested it :oops: ). Have the image set for each user separately and you have a very useful functionality. Board wargames often have counters face down, only the owner may look at them. This is a bit of a pain - how much better to be able to see your own units on your screen but see only the 'backs' of the opponent's units, knowing that your opponent has just the opposite case!

Terrain tiles often work this way, too - although Fog of War might be an elegant way to do this by "e-gaming houserule"...
Balesir

nortonweb
General

Post by nortonweb » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:15 am

Balesir wrote: functionality included in the latest BRPG release (I think - I haven't actually tested it :oops: ).
Its not been released yet. It was withdrawn so don't worry about not testing it yet :D
Running 5 player D&D 4E campaign over the net using BRPG 1.4e

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:10 am

Balesir wrote:Board wargames often have counters face down, only the owner may look at them. This is a bit of a pain - how much better to be able to see your own units on your screen but see only the 'backs' of the opponent's units, knowing that your opponent has just the opposite case!
Stratego is a perfect example of this. The controlling player needs to be able to see what each of his units is, while the adversary just sees a generic token.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:11 am

nortonweb wrote:Its not been released yet. It was withdrawn so don't worry about not testing it yet :D
v1.3a was pulled, but v1.3 also has this functionality and AFAIK it works flawlessly.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

nortonweb
General

Post by nortonweb » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:35 pm

http://battlegroundsgames.com/forums/vi ... &start=800
Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:45 pm
heruca wrote:I do NOT recommend v1.3 be used for actual gaming. It is too buggy. v1.3b should address that.
but v1.3 in your words has so many bugs it should not be considered a release version! That was over 2 weeks ago so you might have forgotten.
Running 5 player D&D 4E campaign over the net using BRPG 1.4e

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:10 pm

That's correct. I don't recommend v1.3 for actual gaming. But it's perfectly usable for testing out the token-swapping feature. Moot point, anyway, since v1.3b will be out, if not tonight, sometime tomorrow.