Game & Scenario Packs

BTS1967
General

Game & Scenario Packs

Post by BTS1967 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:52 pm

This idea popped into my head after responding to the Battle Order Panel.

The ability to create Scenario Packs something like the art pack with tokens, map pieces, and other objects. But in addition, preconfigured battle sequence, settings (such as how the turn sequencer will flow), game settings (fog of war, token handling, card management, etc.).

Essentially a Scenario Pack would represent a given configuration for a scenario. In Tide of Iron you have different decks that come into play based on the scenario... I believe there are a total of 4 or 5 different decks and based on a scenario a given player will have access to one or two of those decks to draw cards from.

A Game Pack would be global settings for a game overall. For example, Tide of Iron would have a global setting for how turns are sequenced while a given Scenario Pack would have who does what, when, and how first and second based on that turn sequence.

This would also allow for creating a base game instantiation and then realizing individual variations based on scenarios or game play variations.

BTS

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:00 pm

Yeah, a fully customizable object manager needs some way to switch between game system profiles.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:42 pm

What bothers me about this idea is what happens with these Scenario Packs once they're made? They probably can't be legally distributed in most cases, so all the work that would go into creating the necessary functionality and creating a given Scenario Pack would result in something that can only be used for playing with your close circle of friends. You couldn't post a Scenario Pack online for anyone to download.

On the other hand, I see this sort of thing happen a lot with Cyberboard and Vassal. How can they get away with it and avoid getting sued?
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:15 pm

heruca wrote:What bothers me about this idea is what happens with these Scenario Packs once they're made? They probably can't be legally distributed in most cases
Yeah, that's a problem that I have been giving a lot of thought to, since I was intending to make a standalone object manager. Unfortunately, I haven't really come up with any ideal solutions to the problem.

It is, however, still worth it to have a fully customizable object manager even if you have to configure it yourself for every system.
You've gotten away without an advanced object manager in the RPG edition, but I don't think you can really do without it when playing wargames.
heruca wrote:On the other hand, I see this sort of thing happen a lot with Cyberboard and Vassal. How can they get away with it and avoid getting sued?
I'm not really familiar with Cyberboard or Vassal, but there is always the gray zone that the torrent sites take advantage of.

That is, if you're merely providing the service people use to share files, you can say that the users are responsible for ensuring the legality of their submissions.

Of course, that is still a risky position, and not a great way to earn friends among the game componies ;-)