Topography and fog of war

GAMAserf
Soldier

Topography and fog of war

Post by GAMAserf » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:56 pm

Will 'fog of war' include obfuscation by battlefield topography, and will an observer unit's altitude (vis-à-vis the observed unit and other terrain features) factor into the calculus?

That is to say, can units behind a wall or in a ravine conceal themselves longer than a unit observed in the middle of a plowed field? Will a ridge conceal a brigade? Will an observer on high ground see beyond lower hills?

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:10 pm

BRPG does not currently support Line of Sight. It will be a v2 feature.

Refer to the FoW suggestion summary.

GAMAserf
Soldier

Post by GAMAserf » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:15 pm

Omnidon wrote:BRPG does not currently support Line of Sight. It will be a v2 feature.

Refer to the FoW suggestion summary.
I appreciate your response, but this is the WgE forum -- not the BRPG forum.

It may be helpful, however, if you could enlighten us as to where WgE v1 will fall in relation to BRPG's versioning scheme. It seems entirely possible that "line of sight" could be developed for WgE and then included in BRPG v2. I am hopeful that this is indeed the case.

Anywho ... Heruca, please consider "line of site" a feature request for WgE.

heruca
Developer

Post by heruca » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:36 pm

Line-of-sight is going to be a very tricky subject. Every game has its own (sometimes quite complex) LOS rules, so the easiest implementation will be to let you handle it exactly as you would in a face-to-face game. But it would be nice to eventually automate LOS calculations.

Playing wargames via VTT will make it possible to do away with cumbersome things like secretly writing down movement orders for units that aren't on the game board because they haven't been spotted by an enemy unit.
:arrow: Please help spread the word about BRPG and BGE, and never hesitate to tell me how I can make them better suit your gaming needs.

Omnidon
Site Admin

Post by Omnidon » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:20 am

GAMAserf wrote:It may be helpful, however, if you could enlighten us as to where WgE v1 will fall in relation to BRPG's versioning scheme. It seems entirely possible that "line of sight" could be developed for WgE and then included in BRPG v2. I am hopeful that this is indeed the case.
My understanding is that wargame edition v1 was basically going to be BRPG v1 with the RPG-specific features removed and some wargame-related features added. Hence my original reply.

LoS is definitely important for war games, but personally I'd say the same about RPGs.

My feeling on the matter of war game edition is that heruca should just add some basic war game support to BRPG v1 then start working on v2.

But, of course, I also feel that working on v2 requires Director 11, which he can't afford to buy at the moment.